GO!

Low Body Temperature

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Malibu

!!!!CATNIP!!!!

Purred: Thu Feb 8, '07 9:56am PST 
Mommy started noticing in the last week or so that my body temperature has dropped. When she picks me up, I feel very, very cold until she hugs me. I've also been whining and meowing a lot more, and my meow has started to sound a little "raspy".
Mommy is having a difficult time in telling if I'm eating or not, cause there's three of us and she free feeds us. But when she does see me eat, it's not very much.

Other than that, I'm pretty active still, and I cuddle at night time like normal, and my nose isn't running and I'm not sneezing.

Am I sick?
[notify]

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Thu Feb 8, '07 10:11am PST 
Malibu, you should probably go see your vet. We can't tell our people when we feel ill so if you are having some signs of illness, it is best to go get it checked out.

Good luck
[notify]

Booger

Purred: Thu Feb 8, '07 11:11am PST 
In an of itself, feeling cold to the touch is not necessarily a sign of low body temperature just as our hands or feet can sometimes feel cold even when our body temperature is normal. For the most accuracy, a rectal temperature should be taken which, theoretically, can be done at home; however, until you have been given instructions on how to do so I would not necessarily recommend that you attempt to do this yourself. Given the other 'symptoms' and the fact that you are concerned, I would recommend that you see your vet. In the meantime, I would recommend confining Malibu to a separate room so that you can monitor food and water intake as well as bathroom habits. This way you will be able to give the vet as much information as possible during the visit.

~Booger~
[notify]

Jackson

If looks could- kill...

Purred: Fri Feb 9, '07 10:32am PST 
Cats outer fur can take on the ambient temperature of the room, just like out skin, but our core body temperature is usually normal. Like booger said you can take a rectal temperature to determine true temperature (and some vets even have this fun ear thermometer now for pets! its not as accurate, but fun to play with). If you have an extra thermometer you can definitely take your cats own temperature, it doesn't take a genius I promise! You would want to put lube on the end though, so its a bit more comfortable. Cats are a bit more difficult to take a temp on because they like to clamp their rectum shut. If this is the case I wouldn't struggle, you're better off leting kitty be mad at the vet than at you smile As for food and water intake, I would say just try to observe her. Many times putting a cat in their on room kind of isolated, will make them grumpy and they'll eat less than usual. Its similar to when you drop your cat off at the vet and they put her in a cage and she doesnt eat well. Cats are accepting of change smile The problem with free choice feeding (jackson is fed free choice too) is that because they know the food is going to be out all day, they never eat very much at one time! Just to be safe I would visit your vet, if there's nothing wrong at least you can rest easier at night smile
[notify]

Pippin

One handsome- devil

Purred: Fri Feb 9, '07 3:10pm PST 
I doubt you are sick. As I'm sure your mum has noticed, it has been deathly cold all across the country this week. So, naturally, the fur on kitties is going to be a little colder too. If your behavior hasnt changed, and you are obviously still eating and pooping, I would not worry about it.
[notify]

Malibu

!!!!CATNIP!!!!

Purred: Fri Feb 9, '07 5:20pm PST 
I was due for my booster anyway, so mommy took me in today.
The vet said that the cold body temperature was due to laying on the floor all day (basement).
She said that I am healthy, just a degree cooler than I should be. There's really nothing Mommy or me can do. shrug
[notify]

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Fri Feb 9, '07 9:09pm PST 
Glad to know that you are ok Malibu.
[notify]