GO!

Do whiskers grow back?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Mr.- Bigglesworth- (Mr. B)

Prince Charming

Purred: Mon Jan 29, '07 6:55pm PST 
I'm hoping for some comforting info here, because I'm panicking.. I just accidentally cut a few of Mr. B's whiskers! I was trying to cut his fur and his whiskers just got in the way frown
He didn't seem to be bothered at all, he was snuggling next to me and just looked at me, like "what are you doing?" but doesn't seem to be in any pain.. is it just shock? Will it hurt him later? Does anyone know if they'll grow back? I really feel terrible.. I cried even though he didn't! Please help! frown
[notify]

Jackson

If looks could- kill...

Purred: Mon Jan 29, '07 7:01pm PST 
No worries! Cats shed their whiskers and they grow back, just like their hair smile Cats generally use their whiskers to gauge whether they can fit their bodies through tight spaces and for balance (somewhat), I doubt you'll see any side effects whatsoever!
[notify]

Velvet- 1992-2008

Grimalkin Power

Purred: Mon Jan 29, '07 7:03pm PST 
Don't feel bad. He's fine. Whiskers are just hair, specialized hair that they use to help them navigate in the dark and things like that, but hair none the less. They fall out (mommy says mine feel like sharp quills) and they grow back. You didn't hurt him at all. Purrs...
[notify]

Mr.- Bigglesworth- (Mr. B)

Prince Charming

Purred: Mon Jan 29, '07 8:02pm PST 
thanks guys! I feel much better smile
[notify]

Smokey

"SURVIVOR"

Purred: Mon Jan 29, '07 8:49pm PST 
Don't feel bad. When I was getting prepped for surgery in July the vet techs shaved 1/2 my whiskers on the left side of my face in half. Mom was mad because it looked goofy and she felt for $500.00 they could have taken their time considering the surgical site was a couple of inches from my whiskers. (the vet messed up the surgery too) It took a few months but they finally grew out and look good. And now I'm going back to my old vet kitty
[notify]

Elvis

Bad to the bone

Purred: Mon Jan 29, '07 11:33pm PST 
I have never lost my whiskers but one time I got too close to a candle and singed some of my eyebrows off!! I looked really funny with eyebrows on one side of my head.....they took forever to grow back and they still don't look the same.....my mom does not burn candles anymore.....Elvislaugh out loud
[notify]

Morris (Miss- You!- '76-'86)

Mo the- Magnificent

Purred: Tue Jan 30, '07 12:04am PST 
When I was young, my girl, who was just a kit herself, was learning how to use scissors and tried them out on my whiskers. She cut them all off! Heh--silly kid.

They grew back, eventually. Yours will, too. In the meantime, though, remember that cats use their whiskers in part to gauge whether a space is wide enough to crawl through, so if there are any tight, narrow spaces in your house that you could get caught in, have your human close them off until your whiskers grow back. wink