GO!

Stinky Cat Problem

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Tiny Tiger- (Mom Misses- U 09/0

No one can climb- like me!

Purred: Wed Jan 3, '07 10:15pm PST 
Tiny Tiger has an anal gland problem which most times is not too much to deal with. BUT, we left town for a week over the holidays and he must have "expressed" himself somewhere and rolled in it.

To say he smells awful is an understatement. I wondered if I could bath him in tomatoe juice like you do with dogs who have gotten too near a skunk.

Does anyone have any ideas? Poor pet, he doesn't understand why no one wants him in their lap.
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Wed Jan 3, '07 11:15pm PST 
I don't know if I'd use tomato juice, since tomatoes aren't good for cats. I think regular pet shampoo should work ok.

I had an oozy anal gland problem a few years ago and it turned out to be an infection. If you haven't already, you might want to talk to your vet.

Good luck, Tiny Tiger!

Edited by author Wed Jan 3, '07 11:16pm PST

Franklin

I am invincible

Purred: Wed Jan 3, '07 11:51pm PST 
I would double check with tomatoes being toxic to cats(reports are lacking)....anyway you can use this recipe if you'd like--it works on skunk spray....10 parts hydrogen peroxide, 1 part baking soda, 1 tsp dish detergent..leave on kitty for 20 minutes repeat if needed...oh and don;t put this in an enclosed container or else it could burst!!!! GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN..and you can always consult with your vet about having the anal glands removed...
[notify]

Purred: Sun Jan 7, '07 10:14pm PST 
Thanks for the advice. I will probably take my "Stinky Cat" to the vet. About having his anal gland removed...well, he just wouldn't be the same little stinky peet we've come to know and love with it. haha
[notify]

Purred: Sun Jan 7, '07 10:14pm PST 
Thanks for the advice. I will probably take my "Stinky Cat" to the vet. About having his anal gland removed...well, he just wouldn't be the same little stinky peet we've come to know and love with it. haha
[notify]

Purred: Mon Jan 8, '07 11:51pm PST 
Mommy took me to the vet and found out it was my ears that are "stinky," really, really stinky! The vet gave my Mom some drops to put in my ears twice a day. The vet said it was an overgrowth of yeast or a fungal problem. Either way, the drops should do it but my Mommy has a time holding my head to get the drops in. She said I fling more on her than is going in my ears.

I'm looking forward to getting "unstinky" so my Mom will cuddle me more. Right now, I've done a real job of getting everything (clothes, carpet, the couch) as stinky as me and Mom has been working overtime to keep things clean.

Thanks for all the responses and good wishes.

Signed,
Tiny Tiger and all the 15 other kitties in our Pride
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Tue Jan 9, '07 8:06am PST 
Glad you made it to the vet and got a diagnosis. Ear infections can be painful, so getting it treated quickly was the the right course of action. You should be cleared up in no time and then you can help your mom clean the house :}
[notify]