GO!

Any comments on DeClawing

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
Kirby

Kirby the Great

Purred: Wed Nov 15, '06 4:02pm PST 
Mom knows this will fluff alot of fur, however, how does everyone feel about this?
[notify]

Kiah

I am tiny and- beautiful!

Purred: Sat Dec 2, '06 11:43pm PST 
Please don't do it! It is so easy to teach your kitty friends to scratch only on appropriate surfaces. Just get some good scratching posts/surfaces and if you need to, put some catnip on them so they are irresistable. If there is a place your kitty likes to scratch, place a scratching post in the way. Also keep your kitties' claws clipped short.

It might take a little more work, but the long run it is far more humane. My brother Nashi and I learned this very easily, and we are so happy to have our claws and scratch on our scratching posts!
[notify]

Toaster- Strudel

Fuzzy girl

Purred: Wed Nov 15, '06 4:16pm PST 
Hi Kirby,
My family is against it in nearly al cases. However, if it is the difference between a family giving up a "cat with claws" or keeping a cat that they choose to have declawed. Well, the choice is obvious, having a home is the most important thing.
How about you, are you going to be declawed?
[notify]

Kirby

Kirby the Great

Purred: Wed Nov 15, '06 4:19pm PST 
Mom is not sure what we are going to do. Dad is all for it, but he has never had cats before. ( Mom has turned him into a "animal" person) Mom just wanted some opinions and even options.

Thanks
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Wed Nov 15, '06 4:40pm PST 
I' m against it. I'd rather see kitties try soft paws first.

edit: I'll add more later as mom has to run and I'm not allowed to use the computer w/o her.

Edited by author Wed Nov 15, '06 4:41pm PST

[notify]

Toaster- Strudel

Fuzzy girl

Purred: Wed Nov 15, '06 4:47pm PST 
I will let Hunter give you the options. We are full on claw cats around here. MOL!

But I just thought you may want to educate your family on what declawing actually entails. It is not the removal of claws, but rather an amputation of a portion of your toes.

here is a webite with photos and information, it may help you to understand how it actually works:
http://maxshouse.com/Truth%20About%20Declawing.htm
[notify]

Kirby

Kirby the Great

Purred: Wed Nov 15, '06 5:16pm PST 
UKKKK!! That is absolutely disgusting! I don't think that declawing is a humane option! (Mom didn't know what they actually did) Any other thing mom can do?
[notify]

Donny the Astro-Kitty

My heart is- broke.

Purred: Wed Nov 15, '06 5:17pm PST 
Mommy and daddy don't like declawing. While some cats may turn out ok, they have heard that big problems can sometimes happen with declawing.

Plus they think it's just not the natural state of things for a cat. Would you do that to a kid so that they don't wreck the furniture?

They like soft paws or better still, au naturel.
[notify]

Toaster- Strudel

Fuzzy girl

Purred: Wed Nov 15, '06 5:43pm PST 
I am sorry, the truth is a little disturbing. I think that most families that choose to declaw don't really understand what happens to their pets. I know my own mom didn't know until someone showed her. That is why it should be an option reserved only for an extreme case.
The most important thing is kitties will scratch, so they need something that is OK for them to scratch on, like a cat tree or scratching post. It has to be tall enough for them to stretch up and sturdy enough to hold their weight, or the probably won't use it.
We dont use soft paws, but I am sure someone else will be able to help you out with that.
I am relieved that your mom doesn't want to have you declawed, you little cutie!
[notify]

Ebon

yes.. leave the- pea soup- unattended.. XD

Purred: Wed Nov 15, '06 5:52pm PST 
My mommy is thinking of getting me soft paws too. Her friend has them for her kitten and (even though they sometimes get chewed off) she sugests them... something about playing too rough? pft! What ever that is!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10