GO!

Raw chicken - should I worry?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Cletus - Smith (One- BAD Kitty)

Bad To- The Bone-

Purred: Wed Sep 6, '06 7:06pm PST 
One of the boys got into some raw chicken. I dont think they ate very much, just a little bit.... but should I be worried? Thanks in advance!

xoxoxo
♥ Missy
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Wed Sep 6, '06 7:14pm PST 
Many people feed raw diets and chicken is on thier list of things to feed. You may notice some diarrhea, but otherwise you should be fine. Cats' intestinal tracts are much shorter than ours, so the risk of Salmonella is minimal. If you are acting strange in any way, vomiting, lethargic, not eating or drinking, get into the vet right away.
[notify]

Wylie

Mr. Attitude

Purred: Wed Sep 6, '06 7:15pm PST 
I would think not to worry, but I'm not exactly sure. Feral cats eat chickens, birds, etc. thats kinda why I'm thinking that it won't make you sick. I have heard some kitties eating a raw diet, that would include chicken.
[notify]

Cletus - Smith (One- BAD Kitty)

Bad To- The Bone-

Purred: Wed Sep 6, '06 7:21pm PST 
Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured too... but better safe than sorry. I dont even know which little rascal did it... unless they both conspired to be masters of the trash together... which is entirely possible. Usually I am VERY careful, and the one night that I didnt feel well & procrastinated about getting the garbage out - look what happens.

Little devils.

Thanks the the quick response, Catsters. Love to all.

xoxoxo
♥ Missy
[notify]

Leo

I'm the baby!!

Purred: Thu Sep 7, '06 7:12am PST 
Hi! I eat a raw diet. You'll be fine eating raw chicken- it's actually much heathier for you than commercial cat food. We never had any diarrhea or anything switching from kibble (innova evo) to raw. Tell your Mom to keep "leaving out" the raw chicken!
[notify]

Cheyanne

♥ Simbas Lucky- Wife! ♥

Purred: Fri Sep 8, '06 12:28pm PST 
I LOVE CHICKEN!!! You should be ok. I usually steal mine off the humans plate or sandwhich... I must remeber this trashy can trick though!! ;-) Thanks for the idea!!
[notify]

Oscar (Went- to the- Rainbow Bri

Eat, sleep and- be hairy

Purred: Sat Sep 16, '06 1:14pm PST 
I have become a very picky eater since I turned 18 this year. My Mom gives me whatever I want and that includes raw chicken (yummm) and raw hamburger. I even talked her out of some of her grilled T-bone steak last night (hee hee) She says I can have whatever I want at my age since she is worried cause I have lost weight...even though I needed to. I feel better now then I have. I thinkk since we moved 3 years ago, I miss the old house. It was smaller and had no steps like this one does.
Oscar
[notify]

Sprinkles

I'm just odd

Purred: Mon Jun 23, '08 10:16pm PST 
I feed my cat Boneless chicken breasts and cuts of pork and beef. All RAW of course. And I supplement with felidae holistic cat food. Cats are meant to eat raw meat.
[notify]

Samantha - Rainbow- Bridge

Fluffball

Purred: Wed Jun 25, '08 5:44am PST 
Sammie used to eat a raw chicken wing a day, as suggested by her vet. She ate the bone, too. After starting on the raw chicken, a dry skin condition cleared up and, from chewing on the bones, her teeth became extra clean.

You'll be just fine.
[notify]