GO!

Licking fur off belly

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Mr. Big

The name says it- all

Purred: Sun Feb 26, '06 11:34am PST 
For the past week or so I have noticed that the hair on Mr. Big's belly was a little thin. Yesterday however, I noticed that he had licked it so much he had a bald spot on his belly. I made an appointment with the vet for tomorrow, but I wanted to know if any of you knew why he could be doing this. (He doesn't have flees.)
[notify]

Emmett McGee- 4/15/94- 9/3/08

Outta My Way.

Purred: Sun Feb 26, '06 11:51am PST 
Hey Mr. Big,

When I was younger, sometimes I would lick all the fur off my belly and front paws. The vet wasn't able to offer any explanation other than to imply that I had psychological problems -- what a charlatan! But then I would stop doing it and my fur would grow back, and then I would wait a year or so and do it again. There is nothing wrong with me except that I like to lick my fur a lot and sometimes it all comes off. So, hopefully you too have a simple licking issue and not something like an allergy or skin rash, although that might be easier to treat.....Good luck at the vet and keep us posted.
Emmett McGee
[notify]

Mr. Big

The name says it- all

Purred: Sun Feb 26, '06 2:32pm PST 
Thanks. I heard of a cat who had obsessive compulsive disorder and would lick and bite off his fur until he bled. He even made it down to the bone! I really hope Big isn't like that. frown I guess we'll know tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.
[notify]

Emmett McGee- 4/15/94- 9/3/08

Outta My Way.

Purred: Sun Feb 26, '06 3:04pm PST 
Hopefully Mr. Big just has a little case of excessive fur licking. Emmett hasn't done it in years. I did notice that it was usually in warm weather -- perhaps he was just looking to be cooler.
[notify]

Mr. Big

The name says it- all

Purred: Mon Feb 27, '06 9:00am PST 
The vet took a fur sample to do a DDT to test for ringworm. She said that if it isn't ringworm then it is probably situational (stress, boredom, or just habitual) and then there is nothing we can do. frown
[notify]

Loki

my Fluffernutter

Purred: Mon Feb 27, '06 9:23am PST 
It's possible your baby has developed a food allergy. You might ask your vet about that.

Is your baby eating and urinating normally? Sometimes, urinary tract infections or bladder inflammation will cause pain and the cat will lick the area. Something else to have checked by your Vet.
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Purred: Mon Feb 27, '06 9:50am PST 
If the vet decides that this is related to stress, this site has some articles about managing stess in cats. I'd particularly recommend the one on displacement activities.
[notify]

Mr. Big

The name says it- all

Purred: Mon Feb 27, '06 10:01am PST 
I also thought Big might have some pain in his abdomen, but the vet said she had never seen a cat or dog lick their fur off because of abdominal pain (only joint pain). I will ask her about the food allergy, though. It's not difficult to ask my vet a question since I work at the animal hospital where I bring my boys. I will just ask her during my next shift.

Since it could be an allergy, would you guys recomend that I slowly change his food? I kind of hope that's not it because I just bought a big bag of food. :/

Oh and thank you so much for the site, Alex. It looks really helpful. Especially the part on Displacement Activities and Steryotypies. I hope he doesn't have that. frown
[notify]

Loki

my Fluffernutter

Purred: Mon Feb 27, '06 11:35am PST 
I would not discount pain so quickly since my Loki licked off the fur on his right rear flank because of an anal gland problem.

You can try slowly switching your baby to a non allergen formula like Natural Balance Venison & Green Pea - can't hurt!!!
[notify]