GO!

What's more fattening: Dry food or Wet food?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Rocko

The Mighty- Hunter

Purred: Sat Jan 28, '06 12:27am PST 
Sorry for asking again, but my mom wants to know if she should be feeding me more wet food so I can lose weight. She usually gives me 1/2 cup of dry everyday (split in two) and just 1/8 can of wet. But now, I am trying to lose weight and she heard that wet food is less fattening. Is it a good idea for me to get less dry and more wet? She is worried that I'll get fatter because she does not know how to match the amount of wet food to replace whatever amount of dry she used to give me. Maybe 1/4 cup of dry and 1/4 can of wet a day? Any diet tips from my fellow full figured felines? I need to lose weight by the end of March so they let me in the plane cabin with her. They don't usually weigh me, but she likes to be sure because there is no way I'm riding cargo! (shudder).
[notify]

Milton

I am a lover not- a biter.

Purred: Sat Jan 28, '06 9:39am PST 
Hello Rocko
Mom works at a vets and some of the things that you can try is:

*Meal time feedings,by this I mean split the food you get in half and put the food down at breakfast time and whatever you don't eat,at that time take up and then give the other half at night and do the same thing.Yes that means no more feed choice feeding.

*Or if you eat to fast and don't know when you are full,you can try placing a object in the middle of your food dish,so you have to eat around it,but make sure the object is not to small so you don't eat it.

*Make sure your not feeding him too much food,look at the bag for their recomended feeding and you should feed on the lowwer side of that,and you can always ask your vet for tips.

*I never really heard of wet food being less fatting,but I do know that dry food helps with your teeth and tartor control.

I hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
[notify]

Rocko

The Mighty- Hunter

Purred: Sat Jan 28, '06 10:25am PST 
Thanks Milton! I'll tell my mom not to change my diet to more wet food anymore. She can just feed me slightly less than what I usually get for both the dry and the wet. She already divides my food into breakfast and dinner because I used to eat so much when I was free feeding. I sure love food, and any kind at that!
[notify]

Milton

I am a lover not- a biter.

Purred: Sat Jan 28, '06 1:05pm PST 
I love food too.I only get dry science diet and once in a while some wet science diet.And treats,but I never get people food,mom buys me tons of cat treats,I love the temtation chicken onces the best but I love them all.
[notify]

Squeakers- (Gone Too- Soon)

Furever my love

Purred: Sat Jan 28, '06 3:33pm PST 
I heard that wet food is more fattening, what with all the stuff they put in it so it stays fresh, or whatever. I don't really know. I don't eat wet food very often. Dry is better for our teeth anyway.
Looks like you get about the same amount of food I get!
[notify]

Arwen

Elf Princess

Purred: Sat Jan 28, '06 4:45pm PST 
My lady human says I used to be "full figured." Meow-humph! Anyway, she made the man human cut my rations back to one and a half tablespoons of Wellness Lite kibble twice a day, and half a small can of Wellness food or another serving of kibble late at night. I lost two pounds over three months, and once the lady human saw I was down to 11.5 pounds, she let the man human give me two tablespoons of kibble each meal. I'm maintaining on that, or so she says. I think they're starving me. Can I have some of your ham sandwich? Or is that chicken? Yum! Purrrrrrrr.....
[notify]

Rocko

The Mighty- Hunter

Purred: Sun Jan 29, '06 9:28am PST 
Grrrmeow! All this talk of food is making me hungry. I kept telling my mom today that I was STILL hungry but she outright ignored me! Maybe I can swipe some of theirs when they aren't looking...oh, i gotta be slick...
[notify]

♥- Firefly

The- Power of- Three

Purred: Fri Feb 3, '06 7:14am PST 
I have read on other kitty e-groups, that the dry kibble typically has the higher carbs/empty calories, of course this depends on your ingredient label & brand. Depending on the quality of kitty food will point to what adjustments you'd need to make in your "diet". A higher quality dry kibble such as Nutro Natural Choice, Royal Canin, and Wellness, are more nutritionally dense, so we kitties eat less of it. Therefore a higher protein%, lower carb% content is preferable...The same would go for the wet food. Check the labels...but don't forget, our wet food gives that added bit of moisture for those kitties out there who don't drink as much as they should. ........we're no experts on food, just eating! Mommy just researches a lot!

~*Firefly*~
[notify]

Sasha

If you don't- ask, you don't- get...

Purred: Tue Feb 7, '06 4:38pm PST 
Ok, I have to hold up the opposite of what everyone else here is saying. I was a very overweight kitty (16 lbs) and my person's vet told her to feed MORE wet and less dry. The reason being that wet food more approximates what a kitty would eat in the wild. We need that moisture and protien, it's what our digestive systems are designed for. Dry food has too many cereals and fibers, more than what kitties would naturally get eating on their own.

So, Mom moved us to 1/4 can each of wet food twice daily and rationed the dry food. I've lost 3 lbs over the past year and regained by boyish figure. I just had a full blood panel (I'll be 11 years old in April) and it came back 100 % good.
[notify]

Sparky

One lucky- cat/Best cat in- the world

Purred: Tue Feb 7, '06 4:48pm PST 
My vet had me stop having a lot of wet food and more good quality dry food because of my teeth. I lost 1 and a half pounds since my last vet visit---I was 16 lb and that is too much. More important, my teeth were having serious problems with just wet food( which I loveeeee) so I get a teaspoon of it a couple times a day.I am on Iames, but there must be even better dry food if anyone knows.
Some of us really have trouble with our weight.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2