GO!

Not acting myself after feline leukemia #1 shot

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Teddy

Feet... Must- attack feet!!!!!

Purred: Sun Jan 22, '06 3:50pm PST 
Hi I'm Teddy ~~ Mommy took me to the vet man yesterday & I got my 1st feline leukemia shot. Ever since she says I have not been myself. I am eating ok. But, all I want to do is sleep. I am eating. But, she worries cause I like playing a lot. Even my brothers could not get me to play. Mommy will call the vet tomorrow & ask hom about it. Has any kitty had something similar to this happen?

~Teddy~
[notify]

Marina

Truman\'s Girl

Purred: Sun Jan 22, '06 5:37pm PST 
After I got my vaccinations on Dec 23, I wouldn't play either. All I wanted to do was sleep. I developed a high fever. I did not have a feline leukemia shot. I had the rabies and other shot they give (I can never remember what it is but it wasn't feluk). Your mommy should check you for fever. Mommy could tell I had fever because I'm a real "kissy baby" and my tongue was very, very hot. Checking your tongue to see if it is unusually warm might be the way to start. It is unlikely your tongue would be hot if you didn't have fever and why be stressed out by a rectal check if you don't have to? If your tongue is hot, your mommy can try to check your temp the normal way. If it is higher than 102, she should call the vet tonight for advice. If it is fine, she should call the vet tomorrow for advice. Tell her to watch for other symptoms besides just the sleeping and lethargy. I'm certainly not trying to worry you, just telling you our story. Hopefully yours is just normal post vaccination blahs. Good luck and keep us posted.
[notify]

♥- Blue- ♥

Bluesy has left- the- building..for- now.

Purred: Sun Jan 22, '06 9:54pm PST 
Teddy, I just read all about you and see that you are an indoor cat which is good! I had a feline leukemia shot last year, but after Mom talked to a lot of people and other vets we are going to skip it from now on. We have read that a lot of cats can get very sick from that shot and if you don't go outside there is very little chance you are at risk anyway. I hope you are feeling much better very soon! We adopted a new sister from Siamese Rescue and one of the things Maggie May and I had to do before she could come and live with us was have a blood test and we were both found to be Negative for Feline Leukemia and FIV, so is our new sister negative. So why be protected from something you won't be getting from a family member? None of us ever go outside.
[notify]

Teddy

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '06 2:28am PST 
Thanks for your replies. Mommy says I am acting a lot better this morning. She says she will have to think before I get any more shots.

~Teddy~
[notify]

Magic

Sexy Siamese if- you please

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '06 11:56am PST 
Glad you're feeling better now Teddy. Thanks for keeping us posted!
[notify]

uni- (ooo-knee)

bengal beauty

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '06 2:42pm PST 
if you are an indoor kitty, there are alot of vaccines that you don't have to get that outdoor kittys do. leukemia is one of them so if it is a series, i wouldn't finish it out. you can do a blood test to see if you are negative instead.
[notify]

Sushi

Look out- Garfield! Sushi- is here!

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '06 3:12pm PST 
My Mommie won't have me given feleuk because 2 of my older brothers got feleuk after their shots and I'm not going to get that sickness too!
[notify]

Teddy

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '06 6:04pm PST 
Hi Thanks Everykitty ~ Mommy will talk to the vet before I get any more shots. After I got better she remembered that Harry acted similarly after one of his shots too. Casper has yet to begin any shots except what he got at the shelter (Mommy was not expecting two new kitties so close together). Giggle... Mommy was even glad to see me attack her feet last night she was so worried. I doubt I will get away with that tonight.

Teddy
[notify]

Jordan

Devilish- Darling!

Purred: Tue Jan 24, '06 12:26am PST 
I have had vaccination reactions in the past. We do have feline leukemia shots in australia now and they have been here for the past few years but most people will NOT use them with their cats as we hear that the shot given is actually Leukemia itself so when you get the shot your body is being introduced to it, some cats have turned out to become leukemia cats. Mum helps with a lot of rescue cats and they wont give it here and most vets tell us to avoid it too BUT it is on the market for anyone who wants to use it on their cats.

Vaccinations are getting more and more nasty for us kitties these days
[notify]

♥- Blue- ♥

Bluesy has left- the- building..for- now.

Purred: Tue Jan 24, '06 4:29am PST 
Yes exactly, Mom contacted Maggie May's breeder to find out if she'd had the blood test, the breeder was very upset that Maggie had the Leukemia shot and warned that cats can actually get the disease from the shot itself. Some shots are very important, like the rhino shot and distemper, because these things can be picked up from humans handling cats with these diseases and passed on, but Leukemia and FIV have to be passed on from cat to cat by fighting, or other contact. There are some very informative sites on line if you google them. It's time for my boosters and I'm going in with lots of notes!!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2