GO!

Still tries to spray after being neutered

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Otis

Purred: Wed Oct 12, '05 4:22pm PST 
My neutered cat, a year old, still makes the action with his hind end that he wants to spray. Could this be a bladder infection? Or is it just something he's gonna do? My other neutered cat doesn't do this? Has anyone else's cat done this?? Thanks!!!
[notify]

Jeepers- 1999-2010

Opt to Adopt!

Purred: Wed Oct 12, '05 4:39pm PST 
Whenever a cat is doing something out of the ordinary, rule out medical first. Call your vet and ask him about bringing in some urine to test. Cats are very prone to urinary tract infections as well as stones. Every time we've had a 'pee problem' here, it has turned out to be medical.

Good luck!
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Purred: Wed Oct 12, '05 6:58pm PST 
I second what Jeepers said. This sounds like a medical issue. I would be concerned about some sort of blockage. I would definitely recommend talking to your vet about it.
[notify]

Ace

THE SPERMINATOR

Purred: Sat Oct 15, '05 1:31pm PST 
Is he only TRYING to pee, but nothing comes out? That's a sign of a possible blockage, which can become life threatening. Neutered male cats are reportedly more prone to urinary blockages so please get him to a vet ASAP...
[notify]

Fluffy

Did I pee on- this yet?

Purred: Sat Oct 15, '05 11:07pm PST 
Fluffy is a female cat that is spayed and she sprays like a boy. She was litter trained early but has always peed on everything and anything. At first we thought it was a UTI (get it checked out) but nothing was wrong with her, so we've had to live with her peeing everywhere for the past 11 years!
[notify]

Tripod

MMMEERROOOOW

Purred: Mon Oct 17, '05 4:12pm PST 
fluffy-how do you get rid of the smell?
[notify]

Fluffy

Did I pee on- this yet?

Purred: Mon Oct 17, '05 9:24pm PST 
We've used everything in the book and nothing worked. We finally changed our last room over to concrete floor -the rest is tile. So we have no carpet to hold the smell in.
On upholstery we use NAture's Miracle -kinda expensive and we didn't water it down and it did okay. Covered up with lots of Febreze. We try and deter them with peppermint and vinegar but it has to be really strong.
[notify]

Teddie {In- Loving- Memory}

Purred: Sat Oct 22, '05 12:42pm PST 
I think i know what you are talking about. Does he walk up to a wall (or other object) and the tail goes in the air and wiggles like he is spraying, but just nothing comes out. Was he spraying before he was neutered?

Although i'm not a vet, i do think that this action is normal. My mom said that when she was young she had a male cat who did that too.... although she said it was because he was already spraying when he was neutered. So the action was still there, but just not the stuff coming out.

My mom just notcied that i was kind of doing the same action after i got used to the bathroom (i was adopted Thursday). Even though i am neutered, she thinks that i was neutered when i went to the shelter at a year and a half old, and i was already spraying. So now the action is still there, but nothing.

But did you call the vet to see if this whole thing is normal? I'd like to know.
[notify]