GO!

Do all Brits have dirty ears?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Catsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Catster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Oscar

Purred: Tue Oct 21, '08 9:37am PST 
The breeder said that dirty ears is a breed trait for British Shorthairs. Is this true? Oscar's ears have dark brown/black gunk in them and we wonder if it's anything to be worried about. Yeast, mites (he just had his first application of Revolution tho) or are they just more prone to dirty waxy build up?? Thanks!
[notify]

Oscar

Purred: Tue Dec 30, '08 2:44pm PST 
UPDATE: Oscar's black/brown ear gunk was a mild yeast infection! The breeder was wrong or lied to me. We gave him drops in both years for 2 weeks and now they are crystal clear and have been for months. smile Healthy ears!!!
[notify]

koochi

play till you- cant play no- more!!! x

Purred: Wed Feb 25, '09 1:34pm PST 
hi there
glad that the infection has gone but it was sad that your breeder lied.
xxx
[notify]

Monty

Bag puss

Purred: Sun May 26, '13 8:57am PST 
Yes, its true , Brit short hair cats do have waxy dirty ears , its like a dark brown/ black gunky wax down the ear canal . I clean his ears every 2 wks, its an easy quick job to do , best to corner him when he sleeps in bath ! He hates the heat re the thick dense coats they have .
The dark waxy stuff in the ears does not smell when I clean them, it causes the cat no problems , he is an indoor appmmt cat . So the waxy dark gunge is not out side garden dirt etc .

He started to get dark wax when he was approx 1 yr old .

U can'tsee the dark wax unless u looked fairly deep down his ears.

He had nerve had ear mites, the minor wax saga no prob, don't be put off , Brit blue shorthairs are fab quiet cats, no cry babies ! & perfect indoor / appmmt living cats .
From Sheila, LONDON
England , Great Britain ( well its not so great in London anymore re terrorists & over crowding , 10 million people now living in little London ! ) sardines we are & no Londoners left in London , if u catch my drift !
[notify]

Purred: Sat Jul 20, '13 3:40pm PST 
Can I just say, the title of this made me splurt my drink everywhere! : P

Secondly, glad you got your kitty sorted and he's well! My cat was called Oscar too : P No kitty should have 'naturally' dirty ears, so your guy was definitely lying to you. And if ever you're -worried- about your cat, it's always best to seek a professional opinion.

Monty, you grossed me out with your 'Great' Britain bit. As a fellow Brit, I have to say the following points:
1) Great Britain gets its name from its name as Britannia major in Latin (Greater Britain). This is to distinguish it from Britannia minor, that is, Brittany. So actually, the Great in Great Britain doesn't mean 'awesome', it simply means 'bigger than Brittany'.
2) London actually has ~8 million citizens - and that's a BIG area. This is not a lot compared to the biggest cities in the world - Moscow is smaller, and has 19 million people. I've lived there, and THAT wasn't like 'sardines'. Istanbul has 17 mill, ditto. Shanghai has 25 mill, Karachi - 24, Delhi - 21. So really, stop the melodrama.
3) A citizen of London, is a Londoner. An individual born in London, regardless of where their family is from, is a Londoner. What I'm reading your last comment as, is that there's not as many white BNP members as you'd like. EW. In terms of war, conflict, terrorism, we're better off than some places in the world... so stop whinging!

4) U? YOU! If you're gonna moan about damn foreigners flooding London (Hahaha! Of course!), spell our language right.
[notify]