GO!

Vet tech who raises Bengals said Velcro was at least part Bengal, why the tufts?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Catsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Catster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Velcro (In- Loving- Memory)

Fix one save- 1,000 please- spay/neuter!

Purred: Fri Jul 25, '08 4:58pm PST 
The vet tech that examined Velcro and took her temperature at the local VCA vet a few days ago said that she strongly believes that Velcro has at least a good amount of Bengal in her; she apparently has been raising and breeding purebred Bengal cats for years. From the research I've done her personality seems to fit the average temparment of the Bengal pretty closely, except that she despises being in water. I don't know if she she is purebred because I have never seen a picture of a purebred Bengal--I have never seen a purebred one in the fur--with white paws and a white blaze on the face before, also she is a rescue. She also has tufts on her ears, do Bengals ever have tufts on their ears?

I'm not asking because I am conceited or anything or because I want to breed, she is a rescue and will be fixed as soon as she is over this herpes outbreak, I'm just curious because we've been wondering what breeds she might be, I thought Bengal when I first saw her but the tufts and tail markings almost suggest Pixie Bob or some other wildcat/wildcat cross breed.

Edited by author Fri Jul 25, '08 5:10pm PST

[notify]

Gaia

Purred: Sat Jul 26, '08 2:22pm PST 
Dear Velcro's person,

I read your posting and looked at the pics of Velcro. As adorable as she may be, she just isn't a Bengal at all. Bengals do not have white blazes or paws and her coat pattern looks more like a tabby mix. They never have ear tufts either. My "Gaia" kitty is a Gen VI bengal (6 generations from the ancestral South Asian Leopard cat) and his picture is on this site. (He's also sitting on the window sill at this very moment enjoying the world at large.) I hope you and Velcro have a happy life together.

-j
[notify]

Velcro (In- Loving- Memory)

Fix one save- 1,000 please- spay/neuter!

Purred: Mon Jul 28, '08 12:18pm PST 
Yeah, the blaze, tufts, and feet are what through the vet tech off as well, but she said that she thinks she has some Bengal in her somewhere. Her temperament is like a cross between a Bengal and a Pixiebob from what I've read. I wish DNA tests were more accurate, I'm just really curious what she has in her because her markings and features are so strange.
[notify]