GO!

Giant Cat Tree and New Scratching Post

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Keeper

Purred: Mon Jul 21, '14 8:47pm PST 
I bought Keeper a 74" cat tree and a real nice scratching post. It's nice and tall so he can stretch out and use it. The only thing is....he doesn't use either. I'm torn between spraying them with catnip spray or Feliway spray. Any ideas? Any response is most appreciated!
[notify]

Jerry- (formerly- Bondi)

Vampire Kitten

Purred: Tue Jul 22, '14 3:53am PST 
The catnip spray is a good idea! applause

I think I'd skip the Feliway on the scratchers because scratching is partially for marking territory and Feliway supposedly reduces territorial urges.thinking

Keeper

Purred: Thu Jul 24, '14 12:22pm PST 
I will try that! Thank you so much for your response.
[notify]

Keeper

Purred: Mon Jul 28, '14 9:51am PST 
So after 3 days of spraying catnip on the cat tree, Keeper is finally using it happy dance

BUT he still won't touch his scratching post. He scratches the carpet. When I catch him, I give him a firm "no". I get his attention and show him to scratch on the post by demonstrating. I'm sure I look like a complete idiot, but I saw it somewhere. I do not want to have to declaw him. I saw the documentary Paws on Netflix, but I can't lose my deposit on my apartment. It was mucho dinero. I have tried the catnip spray, the feliway spray on the carpet, but nada. Ideas???

Thanks.
[notify]