GO!

Aggressive and possibly Overprotective

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Daniel

Rebel with claws

Purred: Mon Jun 2, '14 6:19am PST 
Hi there,

I have a problem (or so my mama says)...I am furry protective of my mama and I bite and attack anyone who tries to hurt her. that includes ofur kitties. My brofur Solomon, who's already weak, hissed at mama and I ran over and attacked him. It was purrty vicious too, and it's the 4th time in my life I've done this to him. Mama took the brunt of it, getting my bites and scratches, but I did give Solly some scratches and possibly a bite wound. Solomon has already been treated fur his wounds but now the issue about me and my behavior has arisen. You see, I have a tendency to hiss at mama fur no reason sometimes. I hiss when I can't go in the bedroom with her. I hiss when I don't get my way. I hiss just because I like to hiss. She keeps me separated from Solomon and I don't like it because I consider mama MINE. Mama doesn't want to rehome me. This is my 3rd home and mama says it is my furever one. She doesn't have a lot of money. What can she do?
[notify]

Daniel

Rebel with claws

Purred: Tue Jun 3, '14 3:21pm PST 
would someone please reply...mama really needs some advice!
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Tue Jun 3, '14 10:34pm PST 
It's Stella. Can't really give you any advice because I do the same things! I hate the other two cats going near my person and I constantly cause fights and lash out. The others are bigger than me and can get out of my way, but it's not a nice environment to live in. This has been going on for years so it doesn't look as if we are going to mellow out. I am a little bit older and have some health issues so probably it will end with my departure to the Bridge. Some cats just have big and obnoxious personalities, I guess. thinking
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Tue Jun 3, '14 10:39pm PST 
Hi Daniel! wave

Has your mom tried a pheromone product, like a Feliway diffuser? It's supposed to help with territorial urges.

When I first came to live with Arthur and Bea and our mom, the Feliway helped Arthur feel better. Bea didn't really respond to it, but she did relax a little after the mom started adding a couple drops of Bach's Rescue Remedy to the water dish.

Good luck! Keep us posted. hug

Daniel

Rebel with claws

Purred: Wed Jun 4, '14 4:48pm PST 
Hi there,

Mama has tried Feliway and we aren't sure if it works or not. A few years ago she got us Feliway collars. Well I took care of mine - I chewed it off. So then mama put a 2nd one on me, and I chewed that one off, too. So I am one determined bossy boy. Mama is thinking I wasn't socialized properly as a kitten (I was in 2 homes prior to this one as a kitten) and that is perhaps why I am somewhat of a bully towards Solomon. I do try and boss my sisfur Serena around but she bosses me back.
Tonight I chased Solomon as he was going to a hiding place. (Mama says poor Solly is hiding and she feels bad. Hmph.)

Mama isn't sure this Rescue Remedy stuff will be enough to stop me from picking on my siblings. But her vet won't prescribe anything because they think it'll make me a "zombie". Mama said she believes that with the right dose it will work & that if it makes me a zombie the dose is too high. Also she doesn't have a lot of money to spend on treatments that claim to work and don't, so she's hesitant to buy stuff like Rescue Remedy, Bully Remedy, etc. etc. Mama says she wants to see some changes now.
[notify]

~Purrcy ~- Meohmy

I AM- MARSHMELLOW CAT!

Purred: Wed Jun 4, '14 6:27pm PST 
Okay...So who is really in charger here? Daniel? or his mama?
I really think you need to separate these cats and do a reintroduction and Daniel is the one that needs to be isolated some how and some way.
Solomon is described as "weak" and "hurt". Daniel sounds like a bully - so who do you protect? Solomon! Who needs to be bolstered up and have his self esteem boosted? Not Daniel!
I'm assuming that both of these boys are neutered. If not...well get it done right away.
Some cats are timid but that doesn't mean that an alpha cat should be allowed to hurt them. The alpha/aggressor needs to learn that his/her behavior IS NOT acceptable. And that means that YOU have to intercede and make it right.
Getting yourself scratched up is NOT acceptable. You need to separate these boys and begin a new regimen...where you are the alpha cat and they are NOT.
I agree with your vet - drugs will not change the behavior - and it is not RIGHT to drug any one to make them behave. You need to figure out a way to help these two poor cats to get along or re-home one or the other.
What is happening is not healthy or fair to you, the cats, and the rest of your household.
Sorry this sounds harsh. I wish you the best of luck in resolving this terrible problem.
Many purrs for you and your clowder
[notify]

Daniel

Rebel with claws

Purred: Thu Jun 5, '14 8:40am PST 
Hi again,

Furst we want to say we sure hope you don't think mama is stupid or selfish.

Me and my siblings are all spayed and neutered. Mama does NOT want to try drugs either even tho it might sound that way. She's just not sure the alternative meds will do the trick. If she can learn what to do without drugs, she would rather do that. We hope you don't think mama is a wimp or has her own agenda. My mama cares about ALL of us and is open to advice.

Mama is looking fur instructions as how to establish herself as the alpha cat too. That is why we are asking advice here. Please try to understand that. She is looking fur help. We don't have any cat behaviorists in our area, and mama doesn't have a car to drive out to the ones farther away. Mama says maybe you can help tell her how to establish herself as the alpha cat...mama also wants you to know she has intereceded many times on Solomon's behalf and will do everything she can to keep him, and all of us, SAFE, happy and getting along.

I am kept isolated from my siblings when mama's unable to supervise me. I hiss when she makes me go in the bedroom but it is only to keep the peace in the house. Ofurwise, I roam about the house but ONLY when she's there. Really and truly, most of the time we do get along. I know it might not seem that way to you, but we do. I hope you don't think she lets me get away with things. Mama does give me warnings and such. Mama just needs to find out what else she can do when I start to display my aggressive tendencies.

If you can offer some tips to mama she would really appreciate it.
Re-homing us is the very last thing she would do. She believes there is an answer to this without having to do that, altho if necessary she would do it (and I can promise you it would break her heart into a million pieces).

Daniel, his mama, and Solomon

PS Serena gets along with all of us just fine. We really and truly hope nobody on here thinks mama wants things her way, is unwilling to listen, etc. Mama is desperate to try anything to help us.
[notify]

Solomon

The Purrmaster

Purred: Fri Jun 6, '14 2:35pm PST 
Hi efuryone, Solomon here....

Now that mama knows my brofur has Alpha Cat Syndrome and has to make herself the "alpha cat" in our home, can you recommend some treatments or medications fur me? I am naturally fearful of Daniel, but if there's something mama can do or give to me that will help me with that, she & I would be so grrrateful.

Solomon's mama here...

Thanx to everyone so far for your help!
[notify]

Kashi

Purred: Fri Jun 6, '14 6:10pm PST 
Possibly something that might help. It works with dogs sometimes, purrhaps cats as well. The concept is "Do not engage". If you hiss at me out of the blue...I will not pet you or even look at you. If you're being socially acceptable I can make you really happy with cat yummies and lovely petting sessions. But one hiss or swipe and I'm walking out of the room. Might be worth a try, if it worked for our pit bull it could work for your kitty.
[notify]

Solomon

The Purrmaster

Purred: Sat Jun 7, '14 8:49am PST 
Today I cornered Solomon again and tried to scratch him up. But mama stopped me.

The vet thinks mama should try the Feliway and Rescue Remedy too furst, but he said if that doesn't work, after displaying some of my behavior to him, I will probably need medication.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2