GO!

Please Help, My Boyfriend's Cat Pees Everywhere When I Visit

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Purred: Sun Jan 5, '14 9:26am PST 
Hi, I hope someone can help me. My boyfriend just adopted his parents 13 year old cat about a week ago. Clearly she's still getting used to her new environment, but apparently she had been doing fairly well with the transition. That is, until I visited yesterday. The cat has never met me before, but being a cat lover and owner myself, I immediately tried to make friends with her. I let her smell my hand and rub against it before I patted her, and she purred when I did that. She even purred when I picked her up.

Some time later, we noticed her starting to crouch in various corners of the apartment. This quickly led to the realization that she was peeing. The first theory was that perhaps she was upset that there were several guests over that evening and that stress of too many people might have been causing her to mark her territory. However, that was quickly discarded as this was not the first time more than one visitor had been over since she moved in.

The next theory, which seems most likely, is that she really didn't take to me invading her space frown Maybe it was the way I approached her, but I think it's probably that she smells my cats on my clothes. I want to be able to visit and not make the cat pee everywhere, so does anyone have any advice for what I can do to fix this? I read about stuff to spray in areas you don't want cats peeing... should I just spray that all over me??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Sun Jan 5, '14 9:41pm PST 
The first thing she needs is a trip to the vet to rule out a health problem, like a UTI or urinary crystals. If she gets a clean bill of health, then you can start treating it as a behavior issue.

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Tue Jan 7, '14 8:16am PST 
Hi, I agree that a trip to the vet would be a good idea. If she gets the "all-clear" from the vet, then start investigating other issues. Is her litter box kept clean? Where is her litter box? Has she used the litter box perfectly up until you came?
[notify]