GO!

Any product that works to prevent peeing on furniture ?!

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

ღ misha- ღ

Purred: Thu Oct 10, '13 5:59am PST 
Please help ! Is there anything that really works to prevent cats from peeing on furniture ? I have 3 cats but it's only Misha that started peeing on furniture again. I am wondering if it's because now the weather is getting cooler..... I don't know. She has a super litter box so i'm stumped and my family members are getting really angry !! We have to buy a new couch, but i'd like to prevent her from peeing on it !!

cat on moon
[notify]

Iba

World's Best- Kitten- Socializer

Purred: Thu Oct 10, '13 8:57am PST 
Step one: Take Misha to the vet. If this is new behavior and Misha has never peed in places she isn't supposed to before, rule out health issues. Because cats can't talk, they have to tell us in other ways that something's wrong. If it hurts to pee, they find all sorts of creative ways to let us know.

Step two: How many litter boxes do you have for your 3 cats? If the answer is less than three, that could be part of the problem. If Misha was cornered in a litter box or if the box is too small/too dirty/etc, she might be expressing her discontent. As a corollary to this, have you changed litter lately? Cats are creatures of habit (some more than others) and may not appreciate a change in litter.

Step three: If the problem is not health related or box related, there are some things you can do. First, use an Oxi-Clean-type product that has the power to break down the urine smell so that Misha doesn't keep going back to the same place again. There are all sorts of great products on the market--I'm partial to the Nature's Miracle Oxy Action cleaner. Invest in a Feliway diffuser or two. Put one near Misha's favorite napping spot and one near the offending sofa. Also, look at your house from a cat's perspective. Is there something that is stressing her out? Maybe an outside noise or a neighborhood cat walking by that is making her insecure. If so, try to mitigate that. Another thing to do is play with Misha. It will reinforce your bond, reduce her stress level, and tire her out so that she doesn't have the energy to pee in places she shouldn't be.
[notify]

ღ misha- ღ

Purred: Thu Oct 10, '13 5:57pm PST 
Thank You for getting back to me ! I will make an appointment with the vet, just to make sure she is ok. There have been no litter changes, so I know it's not that. Best to be safe than sorry !! kitty
[notify]