GO!

Negative Attention Seeking

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Purred: Mon Aug 19, '13 9:32am PST 
I need some help training my male cat. he is 1 year of age and was recently fixed however he constantly seeks negative attention. He will find the things he knows we don't want him to do and do them for the attention like a child such as scratch on furniture. he will stare at you from the carpet and then start to scratch, but as soon as you even look like you're going to get up from the couch he runs away and returns shortly after to do it again.
I've tried to teach him to get attention in positive ways such as taking him in my lap and giving him attention that he loves so much, such as scratching him or petting that he loves so much.
Please give me tips to stop this negative attention seeking or ask more questions.
[notify]