GO!

Prozac for aggression?

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Mr.- Fitzpatrick- Bubbles

Purred: Wed Jul 17, '13 6:10pm PST 
I have an eleven-year-old foster cat (it's been about 9 months) who has had behavioral problems the whole time I've had him. He frequently attacks me and bites/scratches extremely hard--I have a small network of scars on my hands, arms, and legs. He also often walks around meowing at high volume.

He is in good health--he's been checked out by a vet multiple times--and did not seem to respond at all to a Sentry calming collar. One of his previous foster owners had been considering putting him on Prozac, but I've heard very mixed things about whether that helps with aggression. Does anyone have any experiences with cat Prozac, or in general with cat aggression?

Thank you!!

Edited by author Wed Jul 17, '13 6:21pm PST

[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Mon Jul 22, '13 10:49am PST 
Is he neutered? What are your vet's thoughts? I have used Feliway plug ins which are more effective than the collars. Also Bach's Rescue Remedy drops. I have read about other cats using that & it has helped them. I would work closely with your vet on this, it maybe that is what kitty needs to feel better.
[notify]

Mr.- Fitzpatrick- Bubbles

Purred: Tue Jul 23, '13 7:20pm PST 
Thank you! The vet's doesn't seem to think it's a problem, for some reason... that's why I'm seeking advice in other quarters! I'll definitely look into the plugins and Rescue Remedy.
[notify]

Iba

World's Best- Kitten- Socializer

Purred: Wed Jul 24, '13 8:32am PST 
I'm a big fan of the Feliway diffusers. Also, have you tried wearing this cat out with play? Use wand toys to avoid any more bloodshed, but if you can get this cat to play really hard a couple of times a day (and especially right before bed), he'll be too tired to be aggressive. He'll also sleep through the night. About an hour before bed, play with him for as long as he can go (obviously an 11 year old cat won't play as hard or for as long as a kitten), then give him some canned food. He will eat, groom, then sleep for quite a while. Play with him again in the morning, then repeat the feeding ritual for breakfast. Hopefully you'll see an improvement in his behavior (and the level of scarring on your hands).
[notify]