GO!

play biting

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Oreo

I bite back

Purred: Thu Jul 4, '13 9:40pm PST 
Is there a way to diminish it?

When I'm trying to go to bed, usually Oreo is playing with my arms all night, biting and kicking. Trying to pull my arm away only encourages him more, and exclaiming ow doesn't seem to work in this case.
I can place my arms under a blanket so he can't even get to them, but it's already hot in my room as it is, so I prefer not to.

That said, this past couple of nights, he's been doing it less. Last night he actually just laid down next to me and went to sleep.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Jul 5, '13 5:15am PST 
He's young so it's normal but you need to nip it in the bud now. Whenever he bites, say no! loudly and put him off the bed. He will of course come right back. Every time he bites put him down. He doesn't get to sit with mommy if he's biting. He'll figure it out eventually!
[notify]

Trek

Monster of- Mayhem

Purred: Fri Jul 5, '13 7:20pm PST 
Wand toys! Da Bird or any equivalent will do just fine. Start showing Oreo that he can still have fun with you but WITHOUT causing you to spill blood in the process. Do this about an hour before bed and keep at it until he's good and tired (if he starts to pant, it's time to quit). Then give him some treats and go to bed. He should be ready to snuggle up beside you and sleep, not attack. Also, it's not the greatest of ideas to try to hide your hands under the blanket. Then they just seem more like prey to him. Try a can of pennies or rocks--a quick shake is all you need, or a squirt bottle, but don't hide your hands or feet. It will only lead to torn up bedding.
[notify]

Bastian

Oh, you don't- play? Too bad!

Purred: Sat Jul 6, '13 6:01am PST 
Lots of play time before bed can help! I always have to play with Bastian... He's bad for thinking that I'm a fun new burrito bridge when I'm trying to sleep. He scratched me a good time or two before we started playing heavily before bedtime. It helps me sleep and it helps him sleep! I have a wand toy, I bought it for $1! laugh out loud

And I always keep fun things in my room. He liked toys that jingle or squeak. This way he doesn't get bored. But he also has Bubbles to keep him company, so his play before and during bedtime hasn't been so bad.
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Sat Jul 6, '13 4:55pm PST 
Lots of playtime and a big meal before bedtime help, a lot. But my two boy cats get put up in a bedroom at night. Otherwise they would bug everyone to death. They have learned that nighttime is bedtime, and for the most part they sleep. But I sleep with a fan near my head to block out mewing sounds, in the beginning that was necessary. For the first few years Beep slept in the bathroom, because she woke us up all night long. She eventually learned that if she did this, she would be thrown in the bathroom. Now she is 10 and rarely wakes us up. But I don't think it a bad thing to make your kitten sleep in a bedroom or a bathroom or laundry room at night, at all.
[notify]

Ivan

Tzar Ivan the- wonderful

Purred: Sat Jul 13, '13 8:20am PST 
I squirt Ivan with a squirt gun to discourage biting and other troubling behavior. He hasn't quite gotten the message. I let him nibble at me, when he is feeling affectionate but I don't like aggressive biting which he tends to do when mad or frustrated. I don't think I'm very good at this discipline thing and generally he walks all over me.
[notify]

Oreo

I bite back

Purred: Tue Sep 24, '13 11:53pm PST 
Well, he stopped for the most part eventually. smile He still tries it now and then, especially if I'm asleep.
I swear, though, give him an inch and he takes a mile. One night I was just too tired to do anything when he tried biting me and then all night long he kept attacking me.
[notify]