GO!

Eating plastic bags

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Mikko

Psycho kitty

Purred: Fri Jun 28, '13 11:27am PST 
Hi, I have a 3yr old Siamese pure bred, and he chews plastic bags? When I come home from grocery shopping or something, and I have plastic bags, he will sniff them, then start to chew them. I am not entirely sure if this is healthy, and how do I make it stop? I want my Mikko to stay healthy. When I catch him, I do the psssst thing, and then walk away.......Then he goes right back to it. Sometimes I see him, Sometimes I don't. I really need to know what to do on this, because there is nothing on the internet that gives me the right answer. shrug I am going crazy about this. snoopyeek MOL!!
[notify]

Rio

Purred: Fri Jun 28, '13 5:27pm PST 
I love to chew plastic but my sister Clio does not care for it. We cats can be eccentric. My owner has to lock up the plastic bags or I will chew them. I also like to bite power cords so he has covered most of them with a plastic sleeve which he then treats periodically with Bitter Yuck. Portable appliances are locked away when not in use just to play it safe and keep them safe from my sharp teeth. My owner often wonders if gingivitiis plays a role in this 'teething' as I recently had a tooth cleaning and the vet said I suffer more from gingivitis than my sister. Sorry I can't tell you how to cure your cat because my owner hasn't found the cure for me and must rely instead on prevention.
[notify]

Mikko

Psycho kitty

Purred: Sat Jun 29, '13 2:04pm PST 
Well, thanks anyway, its not THAT big of a deal, I just want the best for my Mikko, I will have to put plastic bags in a room when I come home then. You chew power cords??? eekeekeek MOL!!! Mikko hasn't done that yet, and I am glad he doesn't. 'Cause in a corner there is a load of cords for the computer, printer etc. So if he starts.......At least I know what to do!!!! big laugh BTW, your a really cool looking cat, I know its random but hey, can't go one day without complimenting someone MOL!!!
[notify]

KIKI

purrrfection

Purred: Sat Jun 29, '13 5:25pm PST 
I agree with Rio, prevention is the key for sure! Some cats have this habit and i'm not sure anyone really knows why, and if they do, I would love to hear the reason!
So try and keep your plastic bags in cupboards and away from Mikko as much as you can, good luck!
[notify]

Tilly

Purred: Fri Jul 5, '13 1:00pm PST 
Be Careful! For some its just the noise and feeling, and they just like to chew. For my girl it was a sign of her growing Pica, and she didn't limit herself to just plastic bags...she once got her head stuck in my husband's pants pocket going after a candy bar wrapper. With her, there wasn't (and isn't) much to change her behavior , its compulsive and will be (for her anyway) forever, but for most kitties its just funsies and curiosity. But I would discourage that in whatever way possible. Bitter spray a plastic bag or something to create an unpleasant association, 'cause it can legit get dangerous. She wasn't just chewing, she was eating, and while according to her vet, plastic related obstructions are rare (something about the texture means it usually...ahem...slides through) inflammation and infection are common. And trust me, both scenarios suck.

Sorry for the long and dramatic reply. I would just hate to see anybody go through what we go through.

Edited by author Fri Jul 5, '13 1:07pm PST

[notify]

Mikko

Psycho kitty

Purred: Tue Jul 9, '13 11:22am PST 
Thanks Kiki, I must start keeping them put away. I want my Mikko to stay happy and healthy for sure! Thanks, for everything big grin

Tilly, Mikko doesn't "eat" the bags, I think your right about the noise and feeling. I have never heard about Pica before.......But I looked it up and now I know. She really got herself stuck in your husband's pants? MOL!! Thats so funny!! laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud Well, Mikko has done a lot of funny things in the past, so don't feel bad MOL! The spray idea sounds good, so when I come home and go to the washroom or something, he doesn't eat em'. And sometimes at night I leave the cupboard door open by accident, so the spray would work good for that too. But, I would have to find a non-toxic spray. So I'll try to find a non-toxic spray, for those times. But now, I will have to try and keep the door shut, so he doesn't jump up on the counter and chew them MOL!

Thanks everyone, for the info. I hope it works, and now I know if I have anymore problems, you are the ones I should go to! big grin big grin big grin cat on moon
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Tue Jul 9, '13 2:50pm PST 
Hi, Mikko. I lick plastic bags, too. And photographs. And I chew on wooden window sills and sometimes mom's clothes. And sometimes I eat wall insulation. Siamese are notorious for this behavior!
[notify]