GO!

Constant meowing in new home?

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

West

All of the noms!

Purred: Wed Jun 26, '13 6:30am PST 
After the move from our medium-sized house to a small one-bedroom apartment, our one-year-old neutered cat went from practically nonvocal to meowing CONSTANTLY. He howls at the door, scratches at the walls, and works his way into closets where he meows at the walls there. It's worst when one, or both, of his humans are away from home.

It's been about a month since the move, and we thought he'd have calmed down by now. We've tried those Feliway calming hormone diffusers and sprays, calming gel, getting him a big cat tree to explore, playing with him as often as possible... even X anax on my vet's recommendation, but nothing helps.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
[notify]

Mikko

Psycho kitty

Purred: Thu Jun 27, '13 1:22pm PST 
Well, he obviously doesn't like the new house. Maybe it is to small for his liking. You shouldn't put him on meds from meowing though, try asking your vet about it. If he liked the big house better, maybe try making something in the bedroom for a night, and you sleep on the couch for just one night. (If you have a couch) Its been a month, and he still meows? Well, we move every 4 years give or take a few, and Mikko meows for about a week. So other than what I suggested, I don't know what else to do. thinking
[notify]