GO!

Was I protecting my owner from that woodpecker?

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Rio

Purred: Sat Jun 22, '13 1:18pm PST 
I am very attached to my owner and am often at his side when he is home. He sits with me in the grass and I chase sticks or a cat dancer toy that he tempts me with. The other day I was playing in the grass when my owner suddenly ran to rescue a fledgling woodpecker which was about to fall prey to my sister Clio. The woodpecker was also hopping in the direction of the roadway. When my owner picked up the bird, it started a terribly loud and continuous distress call. The sound of that bird made me go berserk. I tore my tether from the grass and ran, dragging my leash, to attack the bird. I was puffed up, hissing and howling as I jumped high into the air to try to get that bird. By mistake I scratched my owner's hand badly. Over and over I jumped as high as I could trying to attack the bird that my owner was holding. I am normally very docile and have never shown signs of aggression nor have I ever injured my owner. Was I being protective by going after the bird or did the sound of that bird just trigger my killer instinct? By the way, he put the woodpecker back in the tree and then took me and my sister inside to calm down. I have not wanted to go back outside for 2 days now and I am normally begging to go out. Am I traumatized?
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Sun Jun 23, '13 12:43pm PST 
gosh that must have scared you! It sounds like a bit of both issues to me. I would try & go out for a few minutes at a time. Don't force it, if you do not want to, then don't. I think the bird scared you with that squawking. Them birds can be trouble!
[notify]

Mikko

Psycho kitty

Purred: Thu Jun 27, '13 1:41pm PST 
Well, it was very good of you to try to protect your owner like that, but, were you punished? Is your owners hand o.k now? How recent was this? I agree with Tigger, those birds are nothing but trouble. Also, do not force yourself to go outside, like Tigger said. If you want back inside, go back in. Also try not to feel to bad, i'm sure your owner still loves you and is probably greatful, I would be. If Mikko jumped up on me like that, and I knew he was trying to help me, I wouldn't give him trouble at all. Its sweet how cats love you, and you should be greatful for that. smile
[notify]

Rio

Purred: Fri Jun 28, '13 5:33pm PST 
I wasn't punished. In fact, my owner has never punished me which is partly why I am a bit spoiled. In fact, I have him wrapped around my little pinkies (all four of them). So if I want him to get up at 5am to feed me, he'll do it. I just tap him a few times on the chin with my paw and he gets right up (he complains but he gets up). As for the claw wounds, he knows I was either trying to protect him or eat that noisy woodpecker and that it was an accident (collateral damage I like to say). He is much better and no amputations were required. I am now going outside again but it took 3 days.
[notify]