GO!

a few issues

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Pinkie- DG#21

Baby Girl

Purred: Sat Jun 15, '13 11:41am PST 
Our family has a new cousin. His name is Hunter. He was adopted from a shelter and has been in his new home for about 2 weeks.

He seems to be 2 different cats depending upon the time of day and the room he is in.

Let me say, he is nuetured and was diagnosed with a UTA and has mites. He was given a shot of antibiotics about 10 days ago. He was in the shelter for 8 months and was known to be a shy and less confident then the other cats at the Habitat. He seemed to like being in his cage and did not enjoy other cats.

He is laid back, and friendly, affectionate some times and generally this is in the dining and kitchen area. He has a favorite chair which he stays on most of the day.

He did start urininating inappropriately up stairs and our Grandpa added a second litter box which he used immediately once put there for him.

His issue is with the living room where he becomes a different cat. He goes on the sofa and love seat and urinates there. Even though he is blocked off from that room with gates, he still tries to navigate up them to get in that room which turns into an agressive behavior. He moves fast, like his is stalking something and looks out the sliding glass doors. We thought maybe there is a cat outside that he can smell. But would that really get him going like that if he was neutered? He doesn't play with toys which we thought would help to redirect his focus. If he didn't urinate, it would not be an issue. But that seems to be a definite when he gets in that room.

Also at night, he yowls...loudly. It has seemed to become less over the last week. But he still does it.
Just sits there and yowls.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on why he could have such different personalites and if they have seen this before.

He seems overall a good cat. But we need to help him with this bad behavior. He is going back to the vets on Tuesday and my Grandpa will talk to her about these things going on with him.

We are a large family. But have never had these issues and don't know how to help.

Any assistance or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Mon Jun 17, '13 11:03am PST 
Two weeks in a new home is not much time considering he was in a shleter for so long. He could be marking his spot as maybe he had to figt for position at the shelter - or feels that he has to. Even if they are neutered, they can still get upset & urinate. I would have the vet check to be sure he does not have a urinary tract infection, just to be safe. You might try using a Feliway plug in to see if that helps, or a calming collar. You also need to make sure the areas he did pee on are cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner such as Nature's Miracle, so he does not smell the area & want to re-mark it. He is probably crying at night for the same reason, he is still a bit insecure. Hope this helps some & Good Luck with your kitty.
[notify]

Pinkie- DG#21

Baby Girl

Purred: Fri Jun 21, '13 10:34am PST 
Thank you so much for responding.

He did have the UTA. But the real culprit...he was not neutered... How this was undetected is amazing. Grandpa brought him back to the vet and asked them to please be sure. Dr. Nancy knew it right away.
We told Grandpa that with all that was happening, he couldn't be..we just couldn't believe the shelter wouldn't have known this by examining him and having him for as long as they did.

He stayed over night and the procedure was done on Wednesday. He is home resting and seems to be doing well. Hopefully, we will see a change in him now. We did order the Feliway and should be getting it soon.

Thank you again for the suggestions.
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Fri Jun 21, '13 11:21am PST 
Even after neutering, he may still continue to mark territory if there there are any animals coming into your yard. You mentioned that he's staring out the sliding glass door and yowling at night. Keep an eye on the situation, and it there is something in the yard, you can install a motion-activated sprinkler to chase it away.
[notify]

Mikko

Psycho kitty

Purred: Sat Jun 22, '13 11:13am PST 
I agree with Tigger and Monster, two weeks is not a lot of time to get 'settled' in a new home. And just because he is neutered, doesn't mean he still wont mark territory with other cats in the house. So just give him time, like when I first saw my sisfur and brofur, (KIKI AND WINTER) I marked territory in their house and I was only there for....I don't know....2 and a half weeks.....Like from Saturday till second Sunday and second Wednesday...So just give him time and he will start to be more normal around the other cats and his parents. smile Good luck!!
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Sat Jun 22, '13 12:19pm PST 
Tig is neutered & still sometimes marks. I buy Nature's Miracle by the gallon! He sees the ferals from the colony I take care of & when I take him out on his leash, he will chase them & spritz the bushes. It seems to calm him down though. He does do it in the house once in a while, that is why I order Feliway all the time.
[notify]

Pinkie- DG#21

Baby Girl

Purred: Thu Jun 27, '13 3:57pm PST 
It has been a little over a week, and so far so good.

The night crys have stopped completely and no spraying.

He started covering his poop in the box which I read was a good sign in that he
doesn't feel as if he is the domanent cat. He had not done that since his arrival.

He is an only cat. But I am sure there are strays and ferals outside. We will keep you posted on his progress.

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by author Thu Jun 27, '13 3:59pm PST

[notify]

Pinkie- DG#21

Baby Girl

Purred: Mon Jul 8, '13 9:45am PST 
wave

Just wanted to post an update on Hunter

He has really calmed down a lot since his nuetering. He has not yowled or marked since he came home from his surgery. way to go

We got the feliway plug-in and provided him with a lot of toys and sratching pads to divert his extra energy. Grandpa is now enjoying the kitty he thought he was getting.

He has been extremely calm and enjoys hanging out with his Dad and guests.

Headbonks and thanks
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Mon Jul 8, '13 12:22pm PST 
Yay! Glad to hear it all worked out!
[notify]