GO!

Cats are Jerks

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Lola

I'm a survivor!

Purred: Fri Jun 14, '13 4:17am PST 
I love both my cats, I really do, but sometimes they annoy me. So here's the story/situation:

When they were younger, less than a year old, I bought a gravity waterer. Everything was going fine until one day I came home from work and it was on it's side, spilling half a gallon of water on the capet. So I fill it up again. The next day I come home from work, and it's the same thing. I'm not sure now how long we played this game (maybe a few more times) before I gave up and got a heavy porcelain bowl for water.

Flashforward to now. I have a few vacations lined up this summer. Unfortunately, boarding the cats is out of my budget. So I again thought about the auto waterer. But I was nervous, so I decided to buy it ahead of time and see how it goes. I set the waterer up Tuesday without incident. This morning when I woke up, it was on it's side.

1. Has anyone else experienced similar behavior?
2. How do I stop them from doing this?
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Sat Jun 15, '13 1:42pm PST 
What about attaching some velco to the bottom & put it on a heavy plastic mat or lid with the other half of velcro? Or duct taping it?
[notify]

Iba

World's Best- Kitten- Socializer

Purred: Sun Jun 16, '13 5:11pm PST 
I think your cats are trying to tell you that they don't like the gravity waterer for whatever reason. They aren't being jerks, just expressing their displeasure in the only method available to them. It could be that they feel like their whiskers get too close to the tank or any number of other issues. Find a decently responsible neighbor kid and pay them $10 to come collect the mail, feed the cats, check their water, and clean their boxes.
[notify]

Mikko

Psycho kitty

Purred: Mon Jun 17, '13 10:09am PST 
I agree with Iba, maybe they are trying to tell you that they don't like it.....for some reason and they want you to maybe just buy a normal watering can or whatever, and when you go on vacation, ask your neighbor to water your plants or something. Otherwise I don't know what to tell you. Good Luck! way to go smile
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Mon Jun 17, '13 7:37pm PST 
It's Stella. I did this with the water fountain that our person got. I was just curious to see how it worked and where the water came from. I also took the filter out and threw it around. I love to explore and take things apart and I am pretty bored. You can try the suggestions to keep the kitty from taking the thing apart, but if you have a smart, bored kitty, they will figure it out eventually.

We have someone come in to feed us and change our water and pan when our person leaves, but she also puts out larger water dishes and multiple ones, in case they get spilled.

She wishes she could teach us to read or watch tv so we won't be so bored! smile
[notify]