GO!

Excessive Meowing

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Parker

Destroy all the- things

Purred: Fri Apr 26, '13 2:10pm PST 
Hi everyone! In the last two months, 8 month old Parker has got into the habit of waking up around 4-5am and meowing his little head off. I'm not talking about cute little meows, I'm talking loud obnoxious meows. Getting up and feeding him doesn't solve the problem. He seems to want to play RIGHT NOW and if we don't wake up and give him attention he'll keep meowing and meowing. I know we should just ignore this behaviour, but we live in an apartment building and we don't want the neighbours complaining (which could lead to us getting evicted.) Any idea how to deal with this excessive meowing? He does this sometimes during the evenings too, and it always stops when we give him some type of attention. I miss sleeping in! Parker never lets us anymore frown
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Fri Apr 26, '13 3:06pm PST 
Hi, Parker's mom. Marilyn Krieger just wrote an article about this for Catster. Look in the magazine section. Also, my mom wrote a similar story for another magazine

http://www.humanesociety.org/news/magazines/2010/09-10/t he_dawn_patrol.html
[notify]

Parker

Destroy all the- things

Purred: Sat Apr 27, '13 10:41am PST 
Thank you! smile
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Sun Apr 28, '13 6:09pm PST 
My older cat, Beep, used to do this for the first few years that we had her. We ended up having to lock her butt in the bathroom at night, or none of us got any sleep. It did not kill her. My kitten and his brother Taffy both get put up at night, in my daughter's room, but they have learned the routine, and they sleep at night. We wake up at 5:30 am, since my daughter has school so early, and sometimes the kitten will start meowing about 15 minutes before she wakes up, but usually he is good until the moment he hears my alarm clock go off. I have always been a big believer in putting the cats up at bedtime, for this very reason. My sleep is too precious to me to let them do this. Beep is now 10, and she doesn't do this any longer, so she gets to stay out all night. On the odd night that she does act like a little monster and pull this mewing stuff at me....which she occasionally does, she gets put in the bathroom. The funny thing is, we put her in the small bathroom, and she quiets right down and goes to sleep in there. If your cat goes nutso when you put them up, try putting a fan near you, even if you have to aim it away from you, to block out the noise of the mewing. We have done that too.
[notify]