GO!

Hard kneading

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Murrpau aka- Murry

Purred: Mon Mar 25, '13 1:58am PST 
I love my Murry boy to death..however..when he gets to kneading he gets so intent on it he HURTS me! I keep his claws clipped but he will dig in and sometimes even stand up and put his weight into it! I don't really want to push him away when he does cause I know its a sign of love, but he is literally leaving cuts and bruises! Help! any suggestions or ideas?? naughty
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Mon Mar 25, '13 3:15pm PST 
Tig is like that. Try & put a towel or soft blanket on your lap, or wherever he is kneading. That way it will minimize your ouchie & yet let him love on you. I sometimes have to do this with Tig, as he has a gold medal in the kneading your skin off category!laugh out loud But don't make him feel like he is being a bad boy. He doesn't realize he is hurting you. All 4 of mine knead & they each do it so differently, but you can tell the pleasure it gives them.

Edited by author Mon Mar 25, '13 3:16pm PST

[notify]

Murrpau aka- Murry

Purred: Mon Mar 25, '13 10:19pm PST 
I never make him feel like hes bad or that I don't like it..I usually just gather him up in my arms so he can't knead anymore and give him some kisses then put him on he floor. I have tried with a blanket and a towel and it cuts down on the scratches but not the bruises.
[notify]

Jayne

Mr. Pesterlumps- Purrbucket- FluffyButt

Purred: Tue Mar 26, '13 12:23pm PST 
I had to train my boy Jayne out of kneading me after I developed Fibro this last year, I just can't handle the pain of it. I just would relocate his paws, usually off of me and onto a chair or the bed. It didn't take long for Jayne to realize that I didn't like being kneaded on, and he stopped. This didn't keep him from cuddling with me, of course.
[notify]