GO!

Help? 6mo kitten moving into house with 17yo cat.

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Purred: Tue Feb 26, '13 11:05am PST 
Okay, So I feel like this is maybe the right forum to post this in.

This situation is pretty unique, compared to a lot of ones I've read.
I know there is no definite answer, but any suggestions will be helpful.

Okay,
I'm going to be moving in with my parents due to school, I currently live in an apartment with my 6 month old male kitten (Who I have had since he was 10 weeks).
He's pretty well behaved for the most part, but has never really been around other animals.

So in about Three weeks time I will be moving out and into my parents house.
On their end of this situation, they have a very senior female cat (17 years old) and a very passive medium size female dog (6 years).

I'm not worried about the dog and kitten living with each other, She is very tolerant with cats. Though, I am worried about the senior and kitten.

A bit more info,
Kitten is getting neutered a week from now, has shots, we plan on getting nail caps.
Senior is spayed, generally healthy, has had shots, declawed.

How do I properly introduce them without conflict?
Also, How do I introduce kitten to a big house?
And, anything else I should know?
[notify]

Purred: Tue Feb 26, '13 12:37pm PST 
Introduce the kitten to your room at first, the slowly introduce him to the rest of the house while the older cat is not around. A good investment might be a baby gate. Let the cats "meet" with the gate in between. (Your kitten in your room, the big cat in the rest of the house) You can also feed the cats on opposite sides of the gate daily to help them become more comfortable with each other. Ideally the gate should be gone in a few weeks.
The biggest problem I've heard with senior cats and kittens is the kitten ends up being far too rambunctious and someone ends up getting hurt. Be sure you're exercising the kitten enough every day so they're not running over the senior cat.
[notify]