GO!

Help! I hit my cat and now she doesn't respond to my calls!):

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Purred: Sun Feb 24, '13 1:29pm PST 
Any help is greatly appreciated! I was just playing with my new kitten and she decided to ignore me and ignore me and ignore my calls, now I was already angry at something else and my kitten just had to ruin my mood even more! So I was stupid enough and I still regret it a lot I wish I could take what I did back): Once she ignored me for the third time I took my anger out at her not hitting her but I picked her up and threw her now to be honest it was a small throw and she didn't hit anything dangerous I actually threw her on a pillow but I still should of never done that. Before if I just snapped once shed come rushing to me, and I mean it every snap shed never ignore me shed come up and jump onto my lap and start to purr she was crazy with me. Now don't get me wrong she's not scared of me she will still come play with me sleep on me and purr and everything but she never responds to my calls anymore, and that makes me very sad. I know what I did was terrible but that was the only time I had ever done something like that to her and I won't ever think about doing it again. If you guys know any ways I could get her to respond to my calls that would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by author Mon Feb 25, '13 5:07pm PST

Approved by forums moderator

Purred: Sun Feb 24, '13 1:35pm PST 
Oh and one more thing I'm doing everything I can so she responds to my calls again! I let her sleep on me and don't stop petting her at all! She purrs nonstop eats and everything still plays with me licks me, its just the calls!
[notify]

KIKI

purrrfection

Purred: Sun Feb 24, '13 3:17pm PST 
Seriously????????
I wouldn't want to come to your calls either if you were just gunna get mad enough to throw me!!!!!!!!
If you get that angry at a little kitten just because she doesn't come when you call, maybe YOU should seriously consider that you have anger issues.
Just because you had a bad day, dont take it out on your kitten, it's not her fault!!! And although you say you know it was wrong, does not make it right.
I dont even understand what help you think you are gunna get from people to help your kitten come when called.....simply read your post and take a look at your anger issues and maybe you will see why she doesn't come to you.
[notify]

Purred: Sun Feb 24, '13 3:27pm PST 
Your right but don't think of it as like I'm throwing a base ball think of it as moving something out of the way either way I know it was wrong, but I read a lot about what other people have said giving their cats thuds for bad behavior and stuff like that that's pretty much what I did but a little toss. She landed safely on the pillow and than went to eat. Anger issues? For giving a cat a little toss that can barely harm her? If you read up there you saw that was the only time I've ever done something that could possibly hurt her. Now if I had anger issues I'd be repeatedly taking my anger out on the kitten but no it was just a one time thing and its never gonna happen again. If she was truly angered at me than she would not want to sleep on my lap or such and stay if I pet her. I feed her take care of her play with her and she gives me the thank you by staying close by my side or giving me a lick. I know what your trying to say your right its a defensive kitten and I was completely stupid enough to do that.
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Mon Feb 25, '13 3:47am PST 
Hopefully you never do that again. Cats are cats, and as any cat person knows, cats have their own rules and most cats do not come to you when they are called. That's just being a cat. They are not dogs. You can't take it personally when your cat doesn't come to you. That said, throwing her in anger, even if you didn't hurt her, probably did scare her and it's going to take quite a while before you ever earn her trust back. You will have to be patient and let her come to you. And if you continue to show her anger, then forget ever having that trust back. My mother in law once smacked my cat, hard, on the head, because she bit her. It was not a hard bite, it was a "leave me alone I don't want to be petted right now" little nibble, but she thwacked her on the head so hard, she ran, I was LIVID, and told her you NEVER smack a cat! That is not how they learn. That has been two years and this particular cat ignores her when she comes over, she has never forgotten that smack. I think your kitty will get over what you did, if that is all you did and you don't repeat that behavior. But if you do have anger issues, even if it is not directed at her, but you are angry around her, she may have trouble trusting you, so I sincerely hope you get a handle on that if that is an issue. Give her patience, let her come to you on her own terms and over time, if you continue to show her patience and love, you will earn her trust back, but right now, you can't push it. Just give her some time.
[notify]

Wally

Super- Walllyyyyy!- Super Walllyyyy.

Purred: Mon Feb 25, '13 12:11pm PST 
I don't even know how to respond to this....

If you're comfortable with it, perhaps you should seek out someone to talk to about anger.... and an animal behaviorist to teach you how to properly handle your kitten....
[notify]

Purred: Mon Feb 25, '13 3:11pm PST 
Beep that was great thank you! I swear that's the only time I ever did something like that to her and it will never happen again I assure you. The guilts been on me forever but now she's coming to me without me even looking at her ill do whatever it takes for that trust and I will have the patience. I love my kitten a lot and I always will thanks for a positive answer and sorry about your mom hitting your cat. I'm never gonna think about hurting or doing anything that could possibly hurt my kitten again. Thanks for your help!
[notify]

Jak-ke

Beauty Queen!

Purred: Mon Feb 25, '13 6:24pm PST 
Your cat could just be independent. Dogs may always try to please people but cats do things when they want to. lol
My cat Jak-ke will almost always ignore me, she used to run to me all the time as a kitten but now that she is older (2yrs) she is confident enough to find comfort in herself and the other cats. I think it just makes it more special when she does come running up to me for a cuddle.
She could also be a little afriad or mad at you for throwing her. All you can do is talk sweet to her and maybe find a favorite treat to win her back. Cats take awhile to forgive.
[notify]

Purred: Mon Feb 25, '13 7:30pm PST 
I did just that she comes to me every time I pet an area near me like where I want her to sit and she'll come running to it. Thanks for your help!
[notify]

Kisu

Japanese Bobtail

Purred: Tue Feb 26, '13 8:21am PST 
HELLO? Did you ever get the memo? Dogs come when they are called, cats take a message and get back to you. REMEMBER THAT. Can I ask how old you are? What you did is unacceptable behavior and hopefully you will never do this again. God will punish you. Now go sit in the corner and dont come out till you learned your lesson. Maybe someday if you dont respond to someone calling you if they get mad enough they will pick YOU up and bodyslam you, lets see how you like it. AND if I were you, i wouldnt post anything like this on catster again. We do not like humans who mistreat their animals - you will be tarred and feathered on here, and possibly booted off. So buh byes.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2