GO!

Cat peeing outside of box

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Purred: Mon Feb 4, '13 9:51pm PST 
I have a 14 year old male cat that pees outside the litter box every few days. I have three boxes and I keep them cleaned often. I think he's having neurological issues, but perhaps it's something else.
I plan on taking him to the Vet in a few days.
I thought I'd get some feedback from others here first before the visit. This way I can enter the Vet office armed with proper questions.

What have others experienced in this situation?
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Wed Feb 13, '13 2:59pm PST 
late to this, but always check for a medical issue first. are you sure he is not marking? you can try using Cat Atract litter, it is supposed to be very good. Also use an enzyme cleaner where he has gone, like Nature's Miracle, because he will still smell it otherwise.
[notify]

Purred: Sat Feb 16, '13 10:18am PST 
We haven't seen him do it in action, but it's clearly not a mistake of "hanging" over the box. He picks a perimeter wall and does his thing. He's hit about 4 or 5 different spots along the wall. We thought he might be seeing cats outside and he is marking his territory, so we closed ALL of the blinds so he can't see out. We've done this for about 4 days, but this morning we woke up to pee on the floor near one of the perimeter walls. I think he's just losing his marbles. He's been pooping outside the box for almost a year. The Vets never figured out why he is doing that. We've been living with it. But, cat pee is a different story.
In terms of "Cat Attract" litter, he goes in the box 99% of the time.

I have to get him to the Vet, but it's so expensive. Probably do the UTI tests, but might consider a blood test too if it's not expensive. If they can't figure it out, then it's time to weigh the pro/cons of euthanasia. So sad.
[notify]

Purred: Thu Nov 7, '13 8:01am PST 
When you grow old and start to pee or poo outside the toilet, I hope your kids consider putting you down just like how you're considering to put down your cat for the same reason...
[notify]