GO!

Kitty bites and clawing

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Colonel- Mustard

Purred: Thu Jan 24, '13 6:52pm PST 
I am a happy 7 months years old kitty. I'm very energetic and I love my fellow humans and cat. However, I bite a lot. It does not hurt and I don't do it because I'm upset, I think it is just my way to say I love my human companions and I want their attention. However, it bugs them very much. I also like to jump and climb and I find my claws very useful to do so, but my humans don't really appreciate it when I put them in their skin. What can they do to help me change these behaviours?
[notify]

Kosuteh

Biting means I- love you..- right?

Purred: Thu Jan 24, '13 8:23pm PST 
I like to bite and lick to show affection too...

One thing your parents can do is when you bite or claw them, have them make a loud squealing or yelp sort of noise. When we were kittens and we wrestled, that was how our siblings let us know that enough was enough. Also, if you bite or claw your parents, they could do a time out of play, where they stop the play session and leave you alone to unwind a bit before they start again.

Do you like laser pointers or feather toys? I love my laser pointer, and even if I"m not very cuddly with mom I LOVE playing with the laser pointer when she's got it!
[notify]

BooBoo Jr.

goofus ball

Purred: Thu Jan 24, '13 10:07pm PST 
redirect! We agree--YELL when kitty sticks or bites, but mostly you as a human remember hands and other parts are NEVER to ne used as toys--redirect to a wand, fishin pole or 'teaser' toy IMMEDIATELY when kitty gets ready to play! Try not to ever let them play with body parts to the point of yelling "OOOWWW!!!!!"
[notify]

Uno

We little black- kitties RULE!

Purred: Mon Jan 28, '13 8:45pm PST 
I usually hiss at them and immediately end the interaction, the same way a cat does when another cat gets too rough with it. You might consider getting a second cat. Cats can and will happily play far rougher with each other than human skin could ever stand. Kittens first learn to inhibit their biting and scratching when they're between 7 and 9 weeks old and physically able to get around well and they get too rough with their mother or littermates and their mother disciplines them. Make sure your cat has toys and a sisal wrapped cat tree to climb and scratch on. Play with your cat with interactive toys so the cat can go after the toy instead of you.
[notify]