GO!

Cats Urinating in the House *Last Options*

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Purred: Sun Oct 21, '12 9:16am PST 
Hello,

I have a problem with my cats right now urinating in the house. This is a last ditch effort before I end up getting rid of the cats.

A little back story first. Someone we knew had a cat and they treated it awful to the point where we offered to take the cat off her hands as she was about to put it outside and let it go.

The cat use to hide behind the couch and pee there in her place because she had two large dogs and it was afraid to come out and use the litter or eat. She put down towels and it would pee on that.Of course this became habit which is a problem.

Now we like cats and have had them our whole lives in fact we had two who are perfectly fine but when we brought in this cat it started peeing everywhere and at the time we didn't know of the habits it had, on clothes, towels, our one couch to the point where we had to throw out 3000.00 worth of couches because it was so constant it ruined them.

Now our other cat is peeing as well and she never did before, it is probably a territorial thing but it cannot happen. We have tried everything at this point we have separate litters for them (always clean), anxiety drops, sprays and whatever else is out there but it just keeps happening to the point where it is starting to destroy our place and it is embarrassing to the point where I won't bring anyone here.

I don't know what else to do at this point and am considering getting rid of them which I do not want to do but they started on the other couch and we put down plastic covers but they just go on that.

Any suggestions at this point will help because I am tired and stressed over this that I am almost fed up of trying to deal with it because it is making me completely miserable around here let alone costing me alot of money.
[notify]

Arthur

Purred: Mon Oct 22, '12 6:09pm PST 
Would you consider trying a kitty diaper? My Mom has used these for three kitties now and they have worked well for her. The diapers she uses are machine washable and she puts half of a human incontinence pad in them and that catches all the pee. The diapers have a tail hole so the kitty can poop normally in the litter box--it just catches the pee.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Oct 22, '12 6:35pm PST 
Try the tips here:
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Mon Oct 22, '12 11:35pm PST 
Your link didn't show up, Merlin! frown

Has either cat been to the vet recently? The first thing you want to do in cases of inappropriate elimination is to make sure that there isn't a physical problem that's making a kitty avoid the litter box.

Once you've ruled out a health problem as a cause or a health issues has been found and treated, you can start litterbox retraining.

One thing you want to make sure to do is get rid of any trace of urine left in the wrong places. Get some good enzyme-based cleaner specifically for cat urine and clean thoroughly. Get a black light to help you find the spots. If kitties smell urine, they'll keep going in the same place.

There are quite a few websites that have good advice on retraining. This one seems to have some good ideas: http://www.our-happy-cat.com/cat-litter-box.html

As a last resort, you can also talk to your vet about trying anti-anxiety medications. A lot of people don't like the idea, but it's far better than a kitty becoming homeless.

Good luck! Keep us posted! hug

Smithwick

Tigger is my- favorite!

Purred: Tue Oct 23, '12 9:57pm PST 
To go along with the other suggestions, maybe try Dr. Elseys Cat Attract litter. It is supposed to help alot. I def agree to get them to a vet. The first kitty could have an ongiong infection or cystitis from not being able to go to the litterbox. Please don't give up on them!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Oct 24, '12 4:57pm PST 
Dumb fleas naughtynaughty

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=litterbox

You can try an animal communicator to "talk" to the cats and understand why they are not using the litter box adn what you can do to resolve the issues. Some people have success with this. Dawn Allen is a popular animal communicator: http://dawnallen.org/
[notify]

Alexander,- Dreamboat- #110

I am really a- lap dog in- disguise.

Purred: Thu Oct 25, '12 2:35am PST 
Can you tell us a little more about the cat? How old is the cat? Is the cat declawed because it may hate the feel of the litter. I would definitely take it to a vet. There are meds for anxiety which take about two weeks to work. There is always a reason for doing this. Cats don't do it because they are angry with you. Galaxy Jackson is a good resource for problem cats. I have learned quite a bit by watching his show. This cat may want a one cat home too. The vet is the first place to go for help. I have Dr. Elsey's attract litter and it works.....Please don't give up and thanks for trying...
[notify]

Bitz

I haz thumbs!

Purred: Thu Oct 25, '12 6:28pm PST 
Some tips:
A trip to the vet. Always rule out medical before blaming behavorial.
Have 1 more litter box than you have cats. If you have 2 cats, have 3 litter boxes.
Clean the boxes several times a day. Some cats will refuse to use a box "dirtied" by another cat.
Have both covered and un-covered boxes. Some cats will only use one type.
Make sure at least one box is in a very quiet spot in the house, so they won't be disturbed.
Try different litter types, sometimes the cat doesn't like the texture, smell, or shape of the litter.
Try Feli-Way diffusers throughout your home. They really can make a huge difference.
Use positive reinforcement every time you see the cat in the box. A special treat, a spoon of canned food, big pets... whatever the cat likes best. Create a positive association with using the box.
[notify]

Orange Ruffy

The Baboo Kitty- has Spoken!

Purred: Fri Oct 26, '12 4:28am PST 
Cats urinate out of the box for many many reasons. Here are some suggestons, though you have many many good ones here.....
1) Change the kitty litter.
2) Add litter boxes. Put them in quiet, out of the way places. There is a box called the clevercat box some cats seem to enjoy. There should be a box per cat plus one.
3) Feliway around the house. Calming collars too.
4 Vet check ups.
5) A low stress atmoshere.

I want to point out that new change, and possible stress/abuse can make cats afraid to use a box. We had a little one here who had been abused. We put him in one small room to start and found out that he used the box fine once he was feeling secure. If you yell or get upset, it further stresses cats, so don't do that but just give the cat time and space to be able to use the box in peace.

Cat boxes issues are the most common but the most easily resolved.
[notify]

Purred: Tue Oct 30, '12 2:56pm PST 
Thanks for the replies!

I have taken the cat to the vet to get it checked not that long ago it's very healthy. I have also tried moving the litter boxes and it still seems to be happening. The other cat doesn't do it anymore I think with her it was just a thing she did out of instinct but now it is just the main cat that i originally had the problem with doing it.

I have also tried a few sprays i will look into more of the suggestions that you guys have given. i have tried another new spray so we will see how it goes in the meantime. Thanks again here is hoping!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2