GO!

Introducting a new cat

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Ladybug

Purred: Wed Oct 3, '12 2:04pm PST 
I know this is a common issue but I need a bit of support and reassurance. I brought home a new kitty on Saturday. I jumped the gun a bit and let Ladybug (1-year-old female) out into the house with Grazie, my 4-year-old female was around. For a day, everything seemed quite good...sniffing and some growling and hissing but nothing big. Then last night and this morning, there was an all out attack (well, a chase...no blood was shed; I'm not even sure they touched, but the noise was horrible and I was so afraid for Ladybug!). I was able to distract Grazie rather easily (in this situation) to move away and then got a water bottle to keep her away. I'm now taking a step back and starting over with the introduction. I'm a bit impatient but am hoping this will work out because Ladybug is such a love and I don't want to have to bring her back to the shelter. They're separated now and tomorrow I will try to be good and keep them separated but this little part in me keeps thinking that the next time Grazie chases Ladybug into a corner and makes all those horrible noises, as long as there is no physical fighting, I need to let it run its course (standing close by, of course). I think I get a little freaked out because I'm so worried, like I said, that Ladybug will be hurt. Can someone give me some reassurance that it's still VERY early and things could turn around? Help! cry

p.s. Is there a way to set it so that it's not a pet author but a person author?
[notify]

Ladybug

Purred: Tue Oct 9, '12 5:34am PST 
It's been a week. I've not heard from anyone. frown Things are interesting here. Ladybug pretty much stays in my bedroom and office, where she feels safest. If Grazie sees her, she chases her and then there is hissing, growling, and batting, and sometimes full on wrestling. But this morning after the hissing standoff after the chase, Grazie ran out of the room. Both cats have pheromone collars on. I am hoping that if they both smell each other and they smell alike, maybe that will help things simmer down. It's been 10 days...and I know sometimes they say it can take months, so I'm trying hard to be patient. Would love some encouragement, though!
[notify]

Felix

mon petit chat- noir

Purred: Tue Oct 9, '12 12:43pm PST 
Well, yes you did jump the gun a bit in the beginning. Grazie is just defending territory from the newbie that was let loose in her sone. Just keep patient, and make sure to give both attention. If they are sitting in the same room, being nice - give praise, or a treat - so that it is a positive experience. When I brought in Felix, Tig was not thrilled at all, and would swat at him, not like Tig at all - he is a very sweet cat. So I got a Feliway diffuser and WOW did it help alot. Now, Tig will even let Felix steal a bite from his dish without a squeak. This too a few weeks. If you are not present, I would keep them seperate just in case, but it seems like there is just squabbling for rank you know? ANother thing we did was played with a wand toy, Da Bird when they were in the room together, giving each equal time to "get the birdie" it seemed like playing together like that helped also. SOrry for no responses - I am not here every day, but I try to be as much as possible. Good luck - and it will be ok I think! cat on moon
[notify]

Samhain

Purred: Tue Oct 9, '12 1:35pm PST 
I'm not usually around on the forums either, but as I posted a question myself, I happened to see yours.
When we brought Fearless in the house, we also used the Feliway diffuser which seemed to help; but I gather that's what your calming collar is. From what you've said, it sounds like things are progressing in a fairly positive way. We DID segregate Fearless for a week, but partly because she had a respiratory infection when we took her in, and we wanted her to get her treatment before we introduced her to the others. There was the hissing and swatting with our crew, too. This went on for some months, but not too much very aggressive fighting. In some ways, now that everyone has settled in together (it's been a little less than a year), the occasional fights are a little more aggressive now - usual led into by rough play and chase that get out of hand. We think this is because Fearless is no longer a kitten and has developed a more dominant personality than she had before. But for the most part, the three girls get along well enough, though Fearless is often excluded from the closeness that the two older girls share. Which leads to our own situation of possibly including a fourth cat - hoping that, as the odd man out, he would bond with Fearless.
I'd say in your situation, give it a while longer and keep the spray bottle handy. Try to keep them separate when you're around. I know when we leave for work we can't be there to watch, but if you hold off feeding or if you give another little snack right before you go, they may feel drowsy enough to sleep through the day while you're gone. We'll try to remember to check back and see how things are going!cheer
[notify]

Ladybug

Purred: Tue Oct 9, '12 1:56pm PST 
It is helpful to see a post about having all girls in the house. So there's hope. The funny thing is... my first cats, Whatnot (f) and Fiddlehead (m) lived fairly peacefully together for 15 years. But occasionally one or the other would instigate a rip roaring fight, leaving fur all over the place. Because it didn't happen all the time, it didn't bother me to the extent that I worry about Ladybug not working out. But you've both helped me out with your responses...thanks. I will post updates. Maybe I will have Ladybug start a blog so folks can follow. Thanks again.
[notify]