GO!

Why do I do this? :)

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Benjamin

Tiny Creature

Purred: Tue Sep 11, '12 11:16pm PST 
So Ben has a favorite toy, his 'Wormie'. Sometimes he plays with him, but as he's gotten a little older (he's 3 and a half now), not so much. He will mainly pick up Wormie in his mouth, hold him there, and start meowing in a low voice. Nothing else. Usually in the middle of the night, but sometimes I'll hear him in the kitchen doing it while I'm watching TV.

Is this another version of prey behavior? Like he's caught him and he's announcing it? He never really brings it anywhere, just drops it after a minute or so. And he doesn't do this behavior with any other toy. Just Wormie.
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Wed Sep 12, '12 1:49pm PST 
Maizy does this with her baby-dog that she had from 1 week old. She will caryy it & sing. Smitty will do these low deep roar sounds sometimes. Maybe it is announcing that they "caught their prey" not sure. But at least you know Benjamin is not the only one that does that!
[notify]

Benjamin

Tiny Creature

Purred: Wed Sep 12, '12 2:25pm PST 
haha! Very true.

BTW, Ben has a sister named Maizie. big grin Good name!
[notify]

Merida

Purred: Wed Sep 12, '12 7:25pm PST 
I too had a cat who did this, he is no longer with us. But since he was 6 mos old, he picked up this small teddy bear of my sisters and took off with it. She ended up giving it to him, he would attack it, talk ALOT with it in his mouth, coo AT it. When he turned 8, he would just bring teddy to bed or walk around and coo with it in his mouth and then drop it and wander off. if you took it away, or it was lost, he would do nothing but sleep. My opinion of it all was that it was a prey thing, and he was a manx smarty pants. I think he assumed it was dead finally, but because it didn't smell he was still doing his 'i killed it'.

I currently have a cat who all his life, has made horrific noises at walls and the ceiling and can't run away fast enough. He is 14 now, and he still does it. hehe
[notify]

Angel-Nu

puke with a- ribbon in it!

Purred: Thu Sep 13, '12 1:00pm PST 
Angel "finds" me hair ties and will call me or her sister, Tiny. I think this means 'look what i have' or 'look what i got'

she brings them to me a lot while making that sound. Other times she sits in one place and makes the sound louder. Often, Tiny will come running to see what she has. I think Angel thinks she is pleasing me when she 'hunts' these hair ties, since when she brings them to me i laugh. they are her favorte thing and she often fetches them.
[notify]