GO!

HEL! Litter box issues!

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Lola

I'm a survivor!

Purred: Fri Sep 7, '12 8:33am PST 
Okay, so recently I made the switch from clay litter to World's Best - I got the "cheaper" variety, the plain jane unscented one. But I decided that as far as odor went, it wasn't doing it for me (though I liked everything else about it) So I decided to switch to the Multiple Cat - Naturally Scented variety. Except (though I had my reservations) I dumped the litter box out completely and poured in the new scented litter. After a few hours, I noticed that neither of my cats had used the box yet and I was getting worried that they didn't like it. But by the next morning they were fine (this was yesterday morning).

I just got a call from my boyfriend saying that one of the cats had definitely pee'd on a pair of his dress pants and there was another suspicious spot that was damp (though he didn't offer to smell it).

My cats have NEVER had litter box issues before, and the litter has been changed somewhat frequently on them before (though I did ALWAYS transition the litter change). So I'm wondering if this is a transition issue or if it's something completely unrelated? And what should my next step be? I definitely want to curb this behavior as soon as possible.

Should I buy the old litter again and mix it in?
Should I buy the old litter again and dump out the new stuff and only use the old?

And also, best method for cleaning up cat urine? I work at Petsmart and we have "Nature's Miracle" but I don't know how effective it is. Any thoughts?

Help is GREATLY appreciated!
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Fri Sep 7, '12 10:43am PST 
Your kitties told you in no uncertain terms that they don't like that new litter. Buy two more boxes, then fill each box with a different litter (including the one you tossed out) and see which one they prefer. Then stick with it, even if it doesn't make you happy. It's better to make THEM happy, as you've discovered! Continue to use 3 boxes. Also, to be on the safe side, it might be a good idea to get them checked by the vet to make sure there's no medical issue causing them to pee outside the box. probably not, but better safe than sorry.
[notify]

Pequena- (Sasha's- sister)

Purred: Thu Sep 13, '12 3:43pm PST 
natures miracle works really well for me! My cats were always fine with changing of litter without me even having to transition it. Though it has been a long time since I have. I use Swheat Scoop. I love it
[notify]