GO!

Service Cats

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Siamber

I'm a dog!

Purred: Fri Aug 24, '12 12:26pm PST 
Does anyone know of any service cats?

I, myself, have a service cat. While the ADA no longer accepts other animals (with the exception of miniature horses) my state still accepts all animals and the ADA states which ever gives more leniency. She has been trained to be a psychiatric service animal.

Does anyone still use service cats? smile
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Tue Aug 28, '12 3:17pm PST 
I have heard this before. I think it is wonderful!
[notify]

Wilbur

The white is for- sugar

Purred: Tue Aug 28, '12 10:07pm PST 
Why do you think the ADA no longer accepts cats as service animals, but there is no ban on using them in your state? Federal law trumps state law every day and the ADA makes no exceptions for its nationwide power.

I see no reason not to use cats as psychiatric assistants for people who need them or hearing ears for deaf people. Obviously, certain breeds must be used. But the same is true with dogs. I wish there was a program for cats to do it.
[notify]