GO!

Russian Blue Behavior? Talkative?

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Isabelle

Queen of Cuddles

Purred: Fri Jun 8, '12 9:40pm PST 
This might seem like sort of a silly question to some. My fiance and I adopted two kitties about a year and a half ago and they will both be 2 this August. The one most definitely seems like a Russian Blue (mix) based on her coloring and size. Anyone else have one out there? I am amused also because they say typically Russian Blues are relatively quiet yet Miss Izzy is extremely talkative most of the day...she likes to meow at me when I get out of the shower, when we're in the kitchen and she wants petted and generally most of the rest of the day.

We adopted her from the local Humane Society and I doubt that she is a pure-breed (also shown by the slight gray tiger stripes in her tail) but she's petite and colored right but dang does she like to talk and tell you how it is. Anyone else have a talkative Russian Blue or Russian Blue mix or could she possibly be something else? It isn't terribly important as I love her to death no matter what but I guess I'm just curious...
[notify]

Cruiser

Top 25 Winner- Region 1- 2011-2012

Purred: Sat Jun 9, '12 3:21pm PST 
There are several breeds, that are all blue, besides Russian Blues. There is British Shorthair and Chartreux. Some other breeds, come in a variety of colors, and blue is one of them. Have also seen many non breed cats, that are all blue.

Without looking it up, not familiar with the traits of RB's and BS's, but I do know, Chartreux's are just striking, very very pretty, and very very sweet disposistions, one of my friends breeds and shows them, championship kitties.

Go to the CFA site, and read about the different breeds. wave
[notify]

Smokie Boo- Dreamboat- #104b

Rescued cats- like me are the- best!

Purred: Sat Jun 9, '12 5:18pm PST 
smile
I also like to talk, and do so often.
The rumor that circulates regarding me is that I was 'purchased' for a child as a pet and am 'blue blood'. But awhile I lived on the streets, and it wasn't pleasant at all.

I am talky, social, affectionate, quirky, loving to my brother, and to my people.

so you sound much like me!
[notify]

James

I may be small,- but I'm scrappy.

Purred: Tue Jun 19, '12 11:41pm PST 
Oh wow, you just described me! I was adopted from a shelter and my mom picked me because she wanted another gray cat.

I like to talk...a lot and I also purr all the time! My big brother is all gray, but very quiet. I'm all gray too, but smaller than my big brother and my tail is a bit stripy. Mom doesn't think I will get much bigger. She doesn't think I'm part Russian Blue, mostly because my eyes are yellow, not green like my brother's. She wonders if I might be a Siamese mix instead.
[notify]

Isabelle

Queen of Cuddles

Purred: Fri Jun 29, '12 9:45pm PST 
I almost forgot that I asked this a while back...thanks for the responses! I've clicked through a few pics and I still think Izzy looks more like a RB or maybe a Chartreux than anything else. It doesn't matter to me technically what she is though...I love her to pieces at any rate. I am just amused because I have never had such a chatty cat. Izzy is special to say the least but I am happy to report that she is spoiled and well-loved here and nobody in this household has any allergies to give her up (I guess when we adopted her at 11 wks that the previous owners surrendered her because their baby was allergic) and if we did end up with them (allergies), well I guess we're taking Claritin or Zytec or something because I could never give up my baby.
[notify]

Molly

Great things- come in small- packages!

Purred: Fri Aug 24, '12 12:10pm PST 
We have two cats that are mostly Russian Blue, and they both talk All. The. Time. We've had Molly about 1 year and a half and about six months ago she starting talking non stop. Meow. Meow. Meow. Especially in the mornings. I think that if you talk to your cat a lot, they start to associate it with good feelings, and will keep doing it. It's really cute, but when it starts at 4am, it can be a little annoying.confused
[notify]

Molly

Great things- come in small- packages!

Purred: Fri Aug 24, '12 12:11pm PST 
We have two cats that are mostly Russian Blue, and they both talk All. The. Time. We've had Molly about 1 year and a half and about six months ago she starting talking non stop. Meow. Meow. Meow. Especially in the mornings. I think that if you talk to your cat a lot, they start to associate it with good feelings, and will keep doing it. It's really cute, and it's great that they "tell" us before acting up and trying to get attention (I always praise them for "using their words" to ask for the window open, bc the alternative was scratching the curtains) but when it starts at 4am, it can be a little annoying.confused
[notify]

Daniel

Rebel with claws

Purred: Thu Aug 30, '12 5:53pm PST 
I wasn't much of a talker befur, but once my sisfur passed away recently, I began to talk more and more. I answer mama's questions and I am constantly meowing. I'm a Russian Blue/Chartreux mix, hope this helps. smile
[notify]