GO!

Aggressive cat sibling

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Quagmire

Giggity giggity- goo!

Purred: Tue May 15, '12 5:38pm PST 
Hi!

We adopted Quagmire about 2 weeks ago, and the process of introducing him to our other cat, Munchkin, seemed to have gone well, or so we thought. Munchkin is territorial, but so are most cats. They seemed to be getting along, until we came back home tonight. Quagmire has a scratch under his right eye. I know that he and Munchkin play rough, but we thought that if they don't get hurt, then it was nothing to worry about. Munchkin will sometimes hiss, but it's nothing like when they first met, like the first 12 hours.

But now we're freaking out a little bit. Are we overreacting? He doesn't look traumatized, since he still runs around and plays with his cat sister, but we don't want him to get more hurt.

- A worried kitty mom & dad

Edited by author Tue May 15, '12 5:40pm PST

[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Wed May 16, '12 1:31am PST 
It's probably not a big deal in reference to their toward getting along...but maybe they're due for a good claw trimming! way to go

Quagmire

Giggity giggity- goo!

Purred: Wed May 16, '12 1:40pm PST 
We trim their claws weekly. So that's it?

We're thinking of putting some Soft Paws on for Munchkin if it still happens.
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Wed May 16, '12 2:55pm PST 
It doesn't sound like either cat is being aggressive. Kitten Quagmire is naturally very active and interested in his new housemate. He probably jumps on her a lot and she gets fed up with it and lashes out. That's how kittens learn the kitty rules of the house. I recommend just keeping a close eye on them to make sure there's no serious fighting going on - growling, biting, etc. Scratches are bound to happen now and then.
[notify]

Munchkin

Always up to- some kind of- mischief...

Purred: Thu May 17, '12 10:51am PST 
Thank you for your response. smile

What we think happened was a case of 'cabin fever'. They were accidentally locked in a room together (the wind blew and shut the door) and probably got stressed out.

Most of the growling I've heard happens when I try to trim Munchkin's claws, MOL!
[notify]