GO!

Introduction Process

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Isis

Purred: Sun May 6, '12 5:42pm PST 
Hi everyone.. we had an unexpected rescue last night and I just want to get some opinions on anything else we can do.

We have Isis, she is about 3 years old. She was living with my parents (as I had moved) and how now come to live with us recently. She settled well, is normally a very calm cat.

Last night, we went to take photos of the moon out on a overhang, and up came a cat from the side. He was shivering, very cold, skinny and used to wear a collar (that was too small from what I see of the markings). My guess is that he was dumped out there, but I have put up some pictures online and posted around town in hopes someone will claim him.

Anyway, for the time being, he is living with us. I have him isolated in his own room, with everything he needs. Isis has done a lot of growling and hissing. A little spitting but not much anymore. When she smells him on me she just hisses and today gave me a swat (no claws).

I'm slowly introducing his smell to her and vice versa, is there anything else I should be doing?

I realize they may never be friends and we haven't made a decision to keep him yet, but I would like to get them to a point of tolerating/ignoring each other at least.

I've only ever introduced a kitten into a family years ago, never to adult cats. (Best guess is the male is about a year old) And he is not neutered, which I'm sure doesn't help the matter.

On his side, no hissing. A couple small growls at one point and that's it. He's more interested in coming out to see her, so he is already in curious stage.
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Sun May 6, '12 9:12pm PST 
I'd get him checked out by a vet first to make sure that he doesn't have any contagious diseases or parasites. You might even be able to have him neutered in the same trip.

Good luck! Keep us posted! way to go

Alexander,- Dreamboat- #110

I am really a- lap dog in- disguise.

Purred: Mon May 7, '12 4:22pm PST 
If you are keeping him, get him neutered...It will help with the introduction process. First, they should not see each other. They can smell each other well enough. Then
use a towel to rub each one down and use the towel on the other one as well. It is a slow process that may take months. Cats aren't like dogs in that area. She is more upset because it is her territory and she doesn't want to be replaced. Keep giving her a lot attention. Then, place treats outside the door between them. Then, place the food there as well, but not too close. When they finally meet, one of them, probably him should be on a leash. Never leave them alone until they are comfortable with each other. She may need a cat tree if she likes to be high. Give her a lot of space. Remember, it was her place first. The vet should give him shots as well. Make sure that he is not bringing any fleas in with him too or other problems. It make take a few months.....never rush it....Patience is the key...
[notify]

Alexander,- Dreamboat- #110

I am really a- lap dog in- disguise.

Purred: Mon May 7, '12 4:22pm PST 
If you are keeping him, get him neutered...It will help with the introduction process. First, they should not see each other. They can smell each other well enough. Then
use a towel to rub each one down and use the towel on the other one as well. It is a slow process that may take months. Cats aren't like dogs in that area. She is more upset because it is her territory and she doesn't want to be replaced. Keep giving her a lot attention. Then, place treats outside the door between them. Then, place the food there as well, but not too close. When they finally meet, one of them, probably him should be on a leash. Never leave them alone until they are comfortable with each other. She may need a cat tree if she likes to be high. Give her a lot of space. Remember, it was her place first. The vet should give him shots as well. Make sure that he is not bringing any fleas in with him too or other problems. It make take a few months.....never rush it....Patience is the key...
[notify]