GO!

Middening in a senior cat...

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Joey

I'm big, I'm- bad, but I am a- real mush!

Purred: Thu May 3, '12 12:35pm PST 
Hi all - I posted this in the answers section but I haven't had any responses yet - my sister's cat Katie is 9 years old and has a varied and tough medical history including seizures and megacolon - she has started middening (pooping inappropriately outside the box as a response to anxiety). We have ruled out anything old or new medically - it's strictly behavioral - and I was wondering if anyone has been through this and has any effective strategies for calming and retraining this tough old bird! There have been several triggers for the behavior - construction in the home, a new baby, the loss of a loved one - it has been a tough year. We are looking for anything that has worked for other kitties - we are willing to try anything right now to correct this and have a happy kitty once again. However, we are against drugging her because of her medical history. Thanks!
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Thu May 3, '12 3:16pm PST 
It's good that you recognize that her behavior is stress related. You can try homeopathic remedies (Jackson Galaxy has a line of them on his website jacksongalaxy.com), and a woman makes calming collars that many Catster kitties swear by (calmingcollars.com). They're fabric and stuffed with herbs, aromatherapy so to speak. If you haven't done so already, try putting out extra litter boxes in the areas where she's pooping. Purring for you!
[notify]