GO!

Strange Cat Behavior: Turned Uncuddly?

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Calypso

Purred: Fri Apr 27, '12 5:58pm PST 
Calypso recently came down with an upper respiratory infection. I really didn't know what was going on, just that she had stopped sleeping in bed with me..and that she was finding strange (high up) places to hide from both my husband and me..and Darwin. She didn't want to play with Darwin either. I grew concerned after a week of her not sleeping in bed with me, and I took her to the vet. She was running a fever and had a really red throat, and they gave her an antibiotic shot (this was over a week ago?). Her temp went down, and she is eating just fine now.

The thing is, she still doesn't want to sleep in the bed with me or play with Darwin. She sits in the windowsill all day and sleeps right next to the window at night. She doesn't want to sit with anyone or get petted very much. She doesn't come running for tummy rubs in the bathroom in the morning anymore. I feel depressed about this situation, and I don't really know what to do. The only physical thing I can note is that she has been having a skin allergy of some sort (with little scabs under her chin and above her tail). I showed the vet last week, and they brushed it off...

what should I do? what CAN I do? My funds are low, and I cannot afford a lot of tests this week!

Edited by author Fri Apr 27, '12 5:58pm PST

[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sat Apr 28, '12 5:17am PST 
When your funds are better, the first thing I would do, is find another vet. Brushing off, what is very obviously not normal, is one to run, not walk away from.

What she got, was a Covenia shot, which for future reference, don't let them give. It is an antibiotic, but the prob is, if she has a reaction, like some might, you cannot stop giving the pills, its already in her. Its meant to last for 2 weeks. Reaching back in my memory, which is still pretty foggy, from losing Bump, it seems like Covenia is more for cuts or bites, not for URI's, the others could prob better tell you.

She is acting the way she is, because she still doesn't feel that good, kinda like when you don't feel that great, you really don't want to be bothered.

She may also be dehydrated, did the vet tell you she was, or was not? They get that way, when they don't feel good, they don't eat, or don't eat much, so they don't drink enuff.

When they are sick, you have to keep them flushed out, have too. You do this by mixing their wet, with water, so its real soupy, twice a day. If the kitty only eats dry, you mix 1 teaspoon Gerber baby food, chicken, with water, so its like a broth, twice a day.

I would also put her on L-Lysine, its an immune booster. We give it to show kitties, who travel to shows, and come in contact with who knows what, in the various show halls. I take it myself, as I have health issues.

You can get it in the human vitamin section. Thats what my vet told me to do. The normal dose is if the kitty is under 9 lbs, its 250 mg, once a day. If kitty is over 9 lbs, its 500 mg, once a day, or some give 1/2 twice a day. Some don't like it, Bump was one, so thats why we split the 500 mg into 1/2 in the morn and 1/2 at night.

You mix it with their wet food, a good amount of wet food, if that doesn't work, mix it with the chicken baby food, a good amount, neither which fooled Bump, he flat out refused it after a few days.

When you funds are better, take her to another vet, ask for the pills or liquid antibiotics, **make sure** you tell that vet, she had a Convenia shot.

The scabs on the chin, might be chin acne, its caused by eating from a plastic bowl, the scabs on her tail, I suspect, may be due to what you are feeding her. What do you feed?

That she is eating, is a huge positive, its when they won't eat, you really have a prob.

Hope this helps, just take her to another vet, look for a AHHA credited vet.

Bump, from the Rainbow Bridge
[notify]

Calypso

Purred: Tue May 1, '12 7:35pm PST 
Thanks, Bump. Calypso and I are headed back to the vet Friday if we don't see any improvement. I ordered her some better food (right now she is eating Castor and Pollux Organix, but I'm thinking she may have a grain allergy of some sort. She's been up and down with her moods, so I'm pretty concerned.
[notify]