GO!

Kicking Cat Litter Out of the Box

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Colby Jack

Cheese Cat

Purred: Fri Apr 27, '12 12:25pm PST 
Hi everyone! New to the community and the forums but was hoping I could get some insight/advice on something that my almost one year old cat keeps doing.

Colby is potty trained and is very good at using his litter box. He has never had an accident or sprayed anywhere besides in it. He also does a good job of covering his business.

However, Colby does TOO good of a job. I have to vacuum the area where the litter box is 3-4 times a week because he kicks cat litter EVERYWHERE!

Any suggestions? My last resort is having to buy a covered litter box, I'm hoping this is just a behavioral thing.

(I've also tried a few different types of cat litters to see if that was the case but doesn't seem to be the issue)

Thanks! smile
[notify]

Eko

Mr. Eko - dark, but- good-hearted

Purred: Fri Apr 27, '12 2:17pm PST 
I'd avoid buying a covered litter box. They make some cats pretty unhappy about the litter box. If anything, you could switch to a box with higher sides. They sell them with up to 10 inch high sides. (We found more options and better prices by buying the high sided boxes online.) Some folks also make one out of a storage bin and cut a door into it.

We have 3 young cats and they have occasionally gone crazy digging in the litter just for fun. Some of the mess can be contained with a big utility mat (cheaper than a litter mat, sold for laundry rooms or garages) under the box. When there is litter kicked out of the box I just pick up the sides of the big utility mat and make all the litter fall back toward the box so it's out of the way until vacuuming day.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sat Apr 28, '12 5:24am PST 
I agree with Eko, its not the littter, and you want to avoid a covered box, it contains the smell, which down at their little level, is too much, kinda like you sticking your nose, like a few inches from the litter and stuff in there, and some feel to claustrophobic, and stop using the box, kinda like you trying to use a stall that is real small.

Like Eko said, just get a large box, that has the real high sides, or some use the storage containers.

Bump, from the Rainbow Bridge
[notify]

Coopurr

I still suck my- thumb...

Purred: Sat Apr 28, '12 9:50am PST 
Oh, do I feel your frustration!!!!! We say that Coop is actually digging a tunnel to France. I had sand all over my house! He wouldn't just dig for 15 minutes. He'd be covered with it and track it everywhere.

Honestly, we do have a covered box...and Coop STILL managed to get the litter all over the place. I don't know what you think of using crystal litter, but that's cut down A LOT on mess around Coop's box. He still knocks a little bit out, but it's much heavier, and it's really cut down on the mess with him.

Just my two cents. And I know crystal litter isn't for everyone.

Purrs,
Coop's Mom
[notify]

Coopurr

I still suck my- thumb...

Purred: Sat Apr 28, '12 9:50am PST 
Oh, do I feel your frustration!!!!! We say that Coop is actually digging a tunnel to France. I had sand all over my house! He wouldn't just dig for 15 minutes. He'd be covered with it and track it everywhere.

Honestly, we do have a covered box...and Coop STILL managed to get the litter all over the place. I don't know what you think of using crystal litter, but that's cut down A LOT on mess around Coop's box. He still knocks a little bit out, but it's much heavier, and it's really cut down on the mess with him.

Just my two cents. And I know crystal litter isn't for everyone.

Purrs,
Coop's Mom
[notify]

Felix - In Loving- Memory

Felix the Lap- Cat

Purred: Sat Apr 28, '12 8:59pm PST 
I understand what you're dealing with. Felix kicks litter out of his box in spite of having a covered box and tracks it around the apartment to boot. One way I've made cleanup a little easier is to put a small cheap throw rug in front of his box to catch a lot of the litter he kicks out. Then I can just pick up the rug, take it outside and shake it out. A small rubber mat would probably work, too.

Edited by author Sat Apr 28, '12 8:59pm PST

[notify]

Colby Jack

Cheese Cat

Purred: Sun Apr 29, '12 5:56pm PST 
Thanks for the suggestion about the higher sided litter box and the mat, Eko, Bumpurr, and Felix. I thought the one I bought was big at 4 inches but if there are bigger I will have to do some research!

Hi Coopurr! What brand of litter do you buy with crystals? I've been sticking with Cat's Pride since it's the only brand so far that I don't mind the smell of and it clumps pretty well. But I'm open to suggestions.
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Sun Apr 29, '12 10:59pm PST 
Target has a clear 66qt bin by Sterlite. LOVE IT! I can put alot of litter in, and they can dig away, and since there is more litter, things don't get stuck to the plastic so much. You could cut a door in it, but I haven't - mine just hop in & hop out. I also use the throw rug too. wave
[notify]

Colby Jack

Cheese Cat

Purred: Mon Apr 30, '12 8:18am PST 
Good idea, Maizy! Did you find it in the store or online?
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Mon Apr 30, '12 9:34am PST 
Found it at Target I want to say they around $8-10 bucks - much cheaper than a litter box. They are more squared, and do not have too large of a It sounds weird, but to me cause it's a opaque clear it seems to blend in more - doesn't stand out like "hey here is a cat potty" I just flip the lid & put it either underneath, or in the front as an extra litter catcher. cheer
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2