GO!

Suddenly more aggressive

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Maple

Purred: Fri Apr 13, '12 5:48am PST 
Hiya,

Maple is about 5 months old now.

In the last week or so, she has started jumping at our legs, scratching more and biting harder and I'm uncertain as to why, because nothing has changed. I'm certain she is playing with us - but it seems so aggressive. Maybe she doesn't realise she's getting stronger?

Does she need more toys? will having her spayed help?

Thanks!
[notify]

Emily

Don't pet, play!

Purred: Fri Apr 13, '12 5:58am PST 
First, yes, definitely time for a spay and sometimes surging hormones can contribute to behavior problems.

But, she is a teenager now and coming into full "cathood." We have found that it is really important to provide bursts of interactive play for our 3 young cats every day (preferably several times per day.) They get their instinctive hunting and aggression out by chasing wand toys or chasing balls we toss over and over, etc... We find we must play with them, not just leave toys out because it is more like a real "hunt" when we make the toys move. Good luck.
[notify]

Maple

Purred: Sun Apr 15, '12 3:44am PST 
Thank you for your response!
[notify]

CK Angel- Ryder- Knowles

I'm a Carolina- Kitten in New- York!

Purred: Sun Apr 15, '12 2:35pm PST 
CK (my husband calls him the 'evil little.....' has two switches, off and fast. When he's awake, he is about 3 per cent sweet kitty and the rest of the time he's Dennis the Menace in a cat body. Don't ever be barefoot around him, he bites toes, especially when you are sitting and quietly watching the news in the morning with a cup of hot coffee in your hand.
He also does the flying cat leap, lands on your head on the back of the couch, wrassles your hair, kicking at it with his back feet when he bites.
He doesn't realize he causes pain, he's just a wild young cat. His instincts and high energy are good...they mean he's healthy...as do your baby girls!

I would suggest what others here have helped me with...

1) Get her neutered...that will help with the teenage hormones!
2) Give her plenty of interactive toys. A treat ball, a cat tree...CK climbs his like a leapard, good scratching posts. When she does that grab 'prey' thing to you yell 'OUCH!!!' really loudly. Keep a plant spritzer around, though I've been told it's not good to use that much...and we're really stopped unless he's at one of the other cats and won't stop.

We understand, believe me. But it's good to know they are young, healthy, and have an abundance of energy.
[notify]