GO!

I hate being picked up!

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Toro

Who is that- masked man?

Purred: Mon Mar 26, '12 10:16pm PST 
Toro doesn't like to be picked up. And by not liking it I mean he runs away if he even suspects someone is thinking about picking him up and the few times I've managed to do it he's gotten really scared, dug his claws in, and then his legs flounder and collapse when he's put back down on the ground. I realize a lot of cats don't like to be held as a rule and we're fine with that; I just wish it didn't bother him so much because sometimes it's necessary in cases of vet exams or having to be moved away from something or put in the cat carrier, etc. Is there anything I can do to make this go more smoothly for him and get him to where he can at least tolerate it for brief periods? Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated!

[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Tue Mar 27, '12 2:20pm PST 
Do you support his rear end when you pick him up? If not, that might be part of his fear. Cats don't like to dangle. You can try to train him with clicker training and treats. http://www.catster.com/cat-behavior/clicker-training-for-cats
[notify]

Toro

Who is that- masked man?

Purred: Tue Mar 27, '12 10:20pm PST 
Thanks for your response : ) I do support Toro's rear when I go to pick him up; I pick him up the same way I pick up Kosmo (my other kitty, who doesn't mind it) by putting the palm of my hand around his bum and hind legs and the other hand supporting his chest and front legs. I think he just really dislikes it. I read over the article link you posted and the clicker training seems like a good idea and I am familiar with the concept but I'm not sure how to use it for purposes of picking Toro up since it seems like it's the direct action of hands around him the worries him. He does not mind being being petted, scratched and groomed and he readily climbs into my arms when I'm sitting down, which is a form of being picked up I suppose...being picked up in reverse...haha.

I'm guessing clickers are available at the pet store? I will investigate the method further and see how I should get started with it. Thanks again!

Edited by author Tue Mar 27, '12 10:21pm PST

[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Wed Mar 28, '12 11:31am PST 
I bought a clicker training kit at Barnes and Noble last year. It had the clicker and a book by Karen Pryor, who founded the Clicker Training Academy. You can also order it on her website http://www.clickertraining.com/?source=sthplogo which is also full of great information and an "Ask the Expert" section. My thought about using the clicker was first to get him used to just having your hands on him in the way you pick him up, then progress to lifting him a fraction of an inch, and so on. It might take two people - one to lift and once to click/treat. I don't know if it would work - it's just something I thought about.
[notify]

Pandora

go getter kitter

Purred: Thu Mar 29, '12 5:23pm PST 
There are a few cats who just hate being picked up period, no matter what and you have to respect that. We have one here out of the 12 grown cats; she was raiused under the same system as the rest of us but just doesn't like being held. She is plenty sweet in all other situations, but ....no holding.
[notify]

Toro

Who is that- masked man?

Purred: Fri Mar 30, '12 9:29pm PST 
Thanks again for the responses : )

Just an update, I think Toro is making some progress. I've begun standing up while holding him after he's climbed into my arms to give him a sense that it's safe to be held above ground. Also, when I need to move him off of me, I have started picking him up ever so slightly so he'll move; that way he's being picked up from a safe place. Maybe I'm over-analyzing a bit, but he hasn't freaked out about it yet! He's a very sensitive kitty in a lot of ways (what some would term 'skittish'), I'm learning, and seems to need an inordinately long time to adapt to new things. But so, so darn sweet : )

The next step is getting him used to being actually picked up and if my attempts don't work, then I'll prolly give the clicker a shot!

Happy weekend, everyone!
[notify]