GO!

Inappropriate Urination -- Bengal Cat -- (long post, sorry)

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Boxie Brown- Forever

Boxie B.- with a- goatee!!

Purred: Mon Mar 26, '12 4:11pm PST 
Hi Booger! We have dealt with our share of urinary issues at our house too! A couple of thoughts, when using the Dr. Esley's litter the instructions say not to mix it, to use it full strength. I know it gets expensive but it has really helped at our house!
Second thought, we had a kitty on amitriptyline for a bit, she would foam at the mouth and wouldn't tolerate it!
Third thought, is there at cat only vet near you? We have been going to a cat only vet for around 10 years now, it has been an awesome experience, so awesome in fact that when we moved 45 minutes away I tried another vet and decided the drive to the old vet was worth it!
Fourth thought, are the Bengals getting enough exercise? I know they are very high energy, as you mentioned, are you walking them outside on harnesses, do they have an exercise wheel? (Believe it or not they do make them for cats).
Fifth thought, are they indoor only? Sometimes the peeing can be a territorial issue and can be caused by seeing another cat outside.
Sixth and final thought, how are you cleaning the spots that have been peed on? I found if the smell is not completely removed the cats went there over and over again. I have a recipe for a make it yourself urine remover that I would be happy to share!
I sure wish you the best, this is a very difficult issue and I understand being at your wits in, the smell of cat pee in the house and on the furniture and clothes makes me batty!
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Tue Mar 27, '12 10:24am PST 
Boxie I would love the formula you stated. Tigger gets upset sometimes & spritzes on the screened porch when he sees the cats outside, and although I use Nature's Miracle I would love something to try that I can pour all over the concrete.
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Tue Mar 27, '12 12:56pm PST 
It sounds like a cat behaviorist (as well as a new vet) is in order at this point. Kitties shouldn't be on repeated antibiotics and mood stabilizers for something that "might" be wrong.
[notify]

Mika

Purred: Wed Mar 28, '12 5:40pm PST 
As a last result, would you consider a kitty diaper? I wear one now and they're really not so bad. I don't even try to take mine off.
[notify]

Valentino

Purred: Thu Jan 24, '13 12:04am PST 
Glad I found this post. I have been going through a very similar situation with one of my male cats who has been urinating outside the litter box. This is not something that he has always done but is a fairly new phenomenon. I too follow the golden rule with cat boxes and have gone to great lengths to keep the boxes clean. I have also tried different types of litter to see if my cat preferred a different texture. I took my cat to the vet and he was given antibiotics for a UTI. This stopped the inappropriate urination for a month and then it started again. I took the cat back to the vet and was told my cat was fine. However, I was at my wits end after a few more weeks of all this. Another trip to the vet and they found crystals in my cats urine. He was prescribed antibiotics and put on the Special diet c/d. My cats did not like this food and they were getting sick on the food as well. My cat has received a clean bill of health but the inappropriate urination continues. I truly do not know what to do.
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Thu Jan 24, '13 10:41am PST 
Hi Valentino - you may get more responses if you start a new post with your question rather than asking at the end of an older one - this caught my eye as I had responded before, anyways, something you might try, that will not hurt your kitty, is Cosequin for Cats. The glucosamine, while it is great for joint health, also relieves the inflammation in the bladder lining. If your kitty has cystitis, or an irritated, inflamed bladder, this will help. I sprinkle & mix it in with Tig's wet food. 2 capsules per day. Amazon has it about $16 bottle. If you feed dry (wet is better for urinary issues though) you can sprinkle it on the kibble & toss it in a bowl - it will coat all the kibble - I have done this, rather than wetting the kibble as the label suggests. Maybe try it for 2 weeks and see if it helps. A male cat may start to urinate like this if he is in pain when he goes into the box. They associate the pain with the box. Crystals can lead to a blockage, and believe me, that is a horrible thing for you cat to deal with & it is life threatening. I almost lost Tigger due to this, so I am very diligent with PH & crystals, the like. My vet suggested the C/D also, and Tig is not a fan of any of the urinary diets - dry or wet. Did the vet culture the urine & find an infection? Many, not all vets or people Dr are so ready to throw antibiotics at patients even if there is no infection. I just ask this to give you some food for thought. I am certainly not saying to disregard your vet - just be sure to ask questions, and if you are not happy change vets - listen to your gut. Feel free to pawmail me if I can help! wave
[notify]

Mr D - D'boat #19

Yikes!

Purred: Thu Jan 24, '13 12:41pm PST 
I may have missed it in the posts but do you have a water fountain. They are great and a must at our home. All our cats Raza, Sam and D all get UTIs they live on Hills C/D and Royal Cannin S/O. The water fountain is great as they tend to drink a lot more water when it's going. Our first one died after a few years and we didn't replace it. Until Sam was seen peeing blood again. We didn't hesitate back to the pet shop for a new fountain.
Raza gets wet food but her kittens Sam and D refuse to eat wet meat, they are really stubborn wee things.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2