GO!

Possessiveness/Growling with toys

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Wallace - My Little- Angel

The A-durable- Wallace

Purred: Wed Jan 25, '12 5:54pm PST 
Newton and Wallace are great about sharing things...most of the time. They play together, sleep together, and watch each other poop. The only time there is a problem is if there is a toy involved. Newton is extremely possessive of toys - or anything he deems a toy (pen, bottle cap, old marshmallow). If Wallace is feet away and just looking at him, he grows. If Wallace tries to play, too, Newton hisses. Wallace always backs off so it never turns into a fight but I'm not sure how to go about fixing it. I feel like I can't allow them to have toys because he will monopolize them. Do I leave a toy out and let them decide how it goes? Do I get rid of toys altogether? I feel like if I just leave the toy out, Newton will play with it and Wallace will sit back and watch all pathetic-like. The moment I take the toy away, they go back to getting along. Sorry so long-winded.
[notify]

The A-durable- Wallace

Purred: Wed Jan 25, '12 5:55pm PST 
*growls* sorry, guys!
[notify]

Leo

purrrr

Purred: Thu Jan 26, '12 7:21am PST 
We have 3 one year old cats at our house and we all do this with the really good toys. Mommy's opinion is that the growling is nothing to worry about at all...cat play mimics hunting and they are just really enthusiastic about guarding their "prey." It doesn't seem to bother anyone here. They actually enjoy watching each other play and figure out what the other is so excited about that they are growling.

Could you just have multiples of the really popular toys? I definitely wouldn't take the toys away...just add more.
[notify]

The A-durable- Wallace

Purred: Thu Jan 26, '12 12:13pm PST 
Thanks for the advice! I was concerned that Newton was being controlling and somewhat "mean" to Wallace but if Wallace is just watching out of curiosity rather than "Mama, why did this new guy steal all my stuff?" then I'm more than happy to give both of them their favorite toys to play with.
[notify]