GO!

Help: Once quiet kitty now loud, obnoxious old man

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Bailey

Purrveyor of- Furballs

Purred: Fri Jan 20, '12 11:07am PST 
Bailey is 15. He has always been my sweet, quiet, cuddly, laid-back boy. Now in the last 6 months or so (and worsening in the last week) he has become obsessed with trying to get in the kitchen (which accesses the back door to outside, as well as the basement). We have a swinging door between the dining room and kitchen - after 8 years of living here, he's just now figured out how to push his way through the door (and won't stop doing it or crying to get through!!!!)

He whines and meows loudly in the evenings, the middle of the night and in the a.m. whether he has access to certain rooms or not. Sometimes he just stands in the dining room in the evening after I go to bed and meows (he used to always come up and get under the covers with me right when I went to bed - now he still does it sometimes but he just seems restless most of the time).

Is this normal for cats who are getting older, or should I be concerned about a health issue? He seems totally healthy otherwise!
[notify]