GO!

Peeing on Blankets?

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Rupert

Purred: Wed Jan 11, '12 7:22am PST 
We got a new kitten, he is roughly 5 months old and we've had him for about 3 weeks. He is peeing outside of his litter box. It is not a normal pee, only a small amount. He is still peeing inside his litter box as well. He has done this a few times, always on a blanket and never a huge amount. He went to the vet last week and he got a clean bill of health. It seems to be happening in the middle of playing, is he just getting really excited like dogs sometimes do?
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Wed Jan 11, '12 3:38pm PST 
What do you feed? thinkingwave
[notify]

Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Wed Jan 11, '12 4:27pm PST 
Is he going on the same blanket in the same spot, or multiple blankets in various spots? If it's the same blanket in the same place, he may have used it often enough that he thinks it's an appropriate place to go. In that case, you'll need to clean the blanket and the floor or furniture area thorougly, and maybe remove the blanket if that's what is attracting him to that spot. It may also be that he gets so involved in playtime that he doesn't realize he needs to go until the last minute, so he finds a handy blanket to use.

I would suggest that you keep a close eye on him while he's playing, and watch for his body language before he pees on a blanket so you can redirect him to his litterbox before he tinkles. When Randy was little and exploring the house, he'd stop in the middle of playtime and go to a corner and start "digging" on the floor. We guessed right away that he was trying to dig a hole to do his business, so we hustled him in to the nearest litterbox, which he used immediately. We watched him very closely after that, and saw the same behavior several more times in different corners. Each time, one of us would pick him up gently and get to a litterbox as quick as we could, and each time he would use the box. We had to put him in his room if we couldn't supervise him, until we observed that he could make it in to the litterbox when he needed to. It didn't take him long to learn, maybe a week or so, and he fortunately never had an accident.

Hopefully Rupert has a similar "signal" when he's about to use a blanket as a litterbox, so you can redirect him to the right place until he learns. Good luck! He is a cutie!
[notify]

Rupert

Purred: Thu Jan 12, '12 12:12pm PST 
He gets fed Blue Buffalo Kitten Spa(all he cares to eat, I'm free feeding until he stops growing or around a yearish). And at night I will give him about half a can of Merrick Wet food(which he loves and I want as much water as possible to protect his kitty bladder/kidneys!).

It's various blankets and various spots. Someone else thought that maybe the blanket rubs against his area and it's like how the mommy kittens rub them to get them to go pee. It 'seems' plausible, because it only happens when the blankets are ruffled up and not when they are laying flat. And like I said, he still pees in his box like a champ.

I've gotten a Feliway diffuser as well and that just came yesterday, so we are seeing if that will help too. I've just never seen a cat randomly pee, usually its where they won't go in their box, but he's doing both.
[notify]

Purred: Thu Jan 12, '12 5:27pm PST 
I am very interested in this too, because I am having the same problem with my ten week old kitten. He was using the litter box fine for about two weeks and then we have had several accidents on blankets and soft surfaces. shrug Not to mention on shopping bags left on the floor.

Right now we are trying kitty jail to reinforce using the litterbox. He is locked in the tiled bathroom with his litter box, food, and water. So far he is using the litter box, but we will see.
[notify]

Rupert

Purred: Fri Jan 13, '12 6:23am PST 
Little Rupert still uses his box, and when he DOES pee on a blanket it is just a very small amount, maybe like a tablespoon or so.
[notify]