GO!

Ideas for training partially deaf cat?

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Shi

Yowl Master

Purred: Tue Nov 1, '11 3:17pm PST 
HI! My new kitty Shi is partially deaf due to damage from severe ear infections before we adopted her. Does anyone have ideas how to train her? I've gotten her to learn that me wiggling my fingers means "come" but I'm not sure how to get her to stop meowing really loud.
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Thu Nov 3, '11 9:47am PST 
She probably cannot hear herself so she is meowing louder. Just like we talk louder if our ears are blocked. I don't have experience with this, but I would say to use hand gestures with your voice. As you say she is partially deaf, so she can hear a little - she will associate the hand gestures with the word, and a treat perhaps? Plenty of patience, and love too - I am sure you will be rewarded with a loving kitty. purrs to you!
[notify]

~Honey~

Forever loved. I- keep her in my- heart.

Purred: Thu Nov 3, '11 6:48pm PST 
We taught Honey a lot of hand signs. She was not deaf but she was very smart. It only take time & patiences.
[notify]

Patch

Patch - wallpaper- stripper

Purred: Fri Nov 4, '11 11:12am PST 
Speaking from my own experience having been diagnosed as 75/80% deaf a year ago, yes she will moew loudly, you can't hear yourself very well. Can I also say when you speak to her or give her hand signals look her in the face and speak, I can't tell what peapole are saying even with 2 hearing aids if they don't look at me when they are speaking to me. I hope this helps a bit, good luck and bless you for taking her on.hughug
[notify]

Blizzard AKA- The- Catfather

psycho kitty

Purred: Fri Nov 4, '11 8:09pm PST 
I am completely deaf. It takes time, patience and love. Your kitty will learn your hand gestures, and facial expressions, and cwill, for all purposes, be a normal cat! I am!!happy dancehappy dancehappy dance
[notify]

Sweets

Itty Bitty- Pretty One =)

Purred: Sun Nov 6, '11 9:07pm PST 
When training a deaf cat, you can utilize another of her senses: sight. Choose clear and distinctive hand signals that will be visible from a distance. Consistency is also vital. If you have used a clicker to train pets in the past, you can also modify this effective form of operant conditioning by using a pen light or flashlight instead of a conventional clicker to reinforce desired behaviors.

Deaf cats rely on sight, so use visual signals to communicate. Instead of the sound of a can opening for dinner you can toss a toy into his line of sight to call her to dinner.
She can feel the vibrations of your walking through your house and will watch your facial expression for visual cues.
You can train her to come to you, by lightly rapping on the floor with your hands. Reward positive behaviors with a favorite treat and once the treat is weaned out she will still respond.
[notify]

Shi

Yowl Master

Purred: Mon Nov 21, '11 2:42pm PST 
Thank you everyone for your good ideas!! We have settled on signals for "hush" when she is being loud and she responds very well to my signal for "come here". I will look for a small penlight/flashlight to try that out soon. She is adjusting very well to her new forever home as well, and likes to cuddle with me on the couch when she's done playing with her toys.
[notify]

Casper

Purred: Tue Jan 17, '12 11:14am PST 
i have a deaf cat and have found that vibrations and crazy hand gestures work well. when casper is meowing or doing something he shouldnt, since i cannot tell him to stop, i stomp my foot on the floor and he feels that and looks my way. I then shake my finger and mouth NO to him. it seems to work pretty well, although he still likes to see how much he can get away with.
[notify]