GO!

Constantly licking!!!

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Tue May 17, '11 7:40am PST 
Alright, so I read somewhere that when a cat licks you, its the highest form of affection. Which is great, but this is getting ridiculous. Hunter licks me constantly. When he was younger, it was maybe one or two licks on my face. Didn't bother me. Then it went to having "facials" I call it. Or a microdermabrasion, only once in a while. Now, He licks me so much that I feel my skin could peel off my face. He is starting to lick my hands, and now, my feet. And when I say lick, I mean lick, my WHOLE face. eye lids, nose, lips, cheeks, forehead, chin, the whole face!!!!

He licks with gusto too, its like almost an OCD thing where he can't stop unless he has done the whole forehead, or the whole nose etc. If I pull away, he'll grab my face/hands/foot with his paws and hold on while licking! Oh and not to mention it HURTS!!!

Now, he even licks me while I'm sleeping. Well I end up waking up because it hurts. Could he have some sort of OCD, or maybe have some vitamin defficiency? I'm at a loss, and I don't mind a couple of times, but Hunter is getting ridiculous!!!

Any ideas?
[notify]

Coopurr

I still suck my- thumb...

Purred: Tue May 17, '11 9:40am PST 
Coop's a licker, too -- although not to the extent of Hunter! MOL!

With Coop, he likes to lick my hand, sometimes my foot if he's on the floor next to me, and sometimes my face, too. And if you say, "Gimme a kiss," he'll lick you right on the lips.

Maybe when he's licking your face, offer your hand instead. That will still allow him the satisfaction, but it'll be a little less intense. And maybe he'll eventually learn just to go for your hand.

Coop also still "sucks his thumb." He literally nurses on his right paw every night on the couch beside me. And only the right paw. It's really adorable. His little cheeks suck in and out like a baby. And you can actually hear his little suckling sounds...and he just purrrrs away!

Hope this helps.
Purrs,
Coop's Mom
[notify]

Smithwick

Tigger is my- favorite!

Purred: Wed May 18, '11 11:48am PST 
Smitty licks my hand alot, but the first think I thought of was are you using a new lotion or anything on your face? I thought maybe something smells yummy to him, or he is really trying to groom you like he does Teaka.laugh out loud Or if you are using a very minty toothpaste - I know some kits go nuts for that. I would say to use something on your face that would make him not lick/taste bitter, but that would be gross for you, and might make him sick. hmmm pondering this one...your pal, Smitty
[notify]

ZOEY

Growing up with - TORTITUDE

Purred: Wed May 18, '11 4:41pm PST 
wave Hi Hunty!

Zack and I aren't lickers. Maybe only once in awhile on our pawrent's hands. But our Angel RA loved to lick Daddy's short cropped hair. She would lick and lick and after awhile Daddy told Mommy that it would actually hurt. She lived a long life so nothing wrong with licking. Maybe being an only cat made her want to clean something else besides herself. Zoey and I have each other to lick. You do have a doggy to lick but seems like maybe you like your Mommy more. I am sure it is a compliment that you are licking her so much! But if she wants to cut down on it, I would try to distract you with something else whenever you start to lick and maybe after awhile you will stop?
[notify]

Nyla

The best little- sister around!

Purred: Wed May 18, '11 4:58pm PST 
Keegan does the same thing! He liks momma, Papa, and me most of all! Momma stands up and walks away when Keegy starts. papa doesn't care. I try to run away but my brother always catches me.
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Wed May 18, '11 9:28pm PST 
That's funny, Meowma calls it 'microdermabrasion" when I wash her face too.
[notify]

Kisu

Japanese Bobtail

Purred: Thu May 19, '11 11:32am PST 
Thats pretty funny !! Im not a people licker and neither is my brother.
You should make a video of it and put it on YOUTUBE.
I like to lick plastic grocery bags, when mom comes home from the store I like to crawl inside them and lick away.
[notify]

ZOEY

Growing up with - TORTITUDE

Purred: Thu May 19, '11 11:48am PST 
Kisu, be really really careful with the plastic grocery bags. Mommy keeps them away from us because cats are very attracted to the material they make them with. Angel Rocky Ann once swallowed a WHOLE bag! It came out the other end with some help but my pawrents were so so lucky that there were no problems. Ever since then plastic bags have been kept away from us cats. Zack and I don't seem as interested in them as RA was.
[notify]

Nellie

cause thats what- i am a princess

Purred: Thu May 19, '11 8:46pm PST 
i lick or eat human hair. i chew on plastic bags but never eat them. but that still scares mom.
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Fri May 20, '11 5:10am PST 
Well Hunty still licks me, but I have noticed he doesn't lick me as much at night. Now, his new thing is grabbing a chunk of my hair with his mouth and pulling! Yea, its lovely to wake up to. But it does wake me up! laugh out loud

I guess he'll always be a licker. I just need to distract him, or not put my face against his!

Anyone want a big white fluffy Turkish Van looking cat? Hes free! Licker, hair puller, dog pouncing, whining, fancy feast eating brat!!! I'll even throw in his cat tree!! heheheh j/k

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I just have to figure a way to not put my face near his at night, and then maybe put my hair up so he can't chomp it off!

Hunty is a licker, but hes my licker and I love him. big grin
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2