GO!

Why does my cat only love me in the bathroom?

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Larry

"MAAAAAAAAAAA!!!- "

Purred: Thu Apr 22, '10 11:45pm PST 
Three of my cats, all varying shades of 'skittish', all swarm the bathroom when I'm trying to have some alone time. Larry will meow and meow until I open the door, then crawl all over my feet purring and rolling over and demanding attention, while outside the bathroom he tends to be a very timid cat. His sister refuses to allow a closed door, which I do understand, even though she doesn't really want my attention as much as her brother does. But the weirdest one is the Calico, who hates me. Well, I know she doesn't hate me, but she doesn't particularly like me at all, and is usually very standoffish. She will actually hop up on my lap and stay there. I almost hate to make her move, she never seems to like me unless I'm stuck somewhere or asleep (I fell asleep on the couch once and was surprised to find her curled up on my back when I woke up. I went back to sleep rather than move her, it was just too cute.)

What gives? I know this isn't a unique situation, tons of cats seem to love 'extended sit down time' more than any other to spend with their people. Is there some kind of reason for this, or is it just the obvious, "well, you don't seem to be going anywhere." I even have a work desk where I spend plenty of time, but never to they seem to want my attention as much as when I just want the door closed.
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Fri Apr 23, '10 6:41am PST 
I don't think your calico hates you...as I've gotten older, it's gotten more uncomfortable for me to be petted in certain ways, and if I get on Meowma I don't like her to wiggle around ANY, or I'll move; she's pretty sure it irritates my old bones. And so usually, I want to be good and settled before I even get my head rubbed or anything; maybe you don't go into ''petting' mode when you are on the pot, and you aren't moving as much.
[notify]

Boris

I'm cute and I- know how to use- that :)

Purred: Fri Apr 23, '10 10:55am PST 
Here's the deal:

we love it when mommy poops. There we said it. We know she'll sit in the same spot for a long time, so it's the perfect time to have her admire our fur, headbutt us (yes, you read that right, we climb on the counter and headbutt mom), and skritch all those hard to reach areas. I also like to bat at the toilet paper roll so my mommy can praise my hunting skills (mom's note: I yell at him to stop, which only seems to encourage him confused). The only thing we haven't done is to sit on her lap while she poos, but only because, in dad's words we have "a modicum of pride". If we were kittens, we probably would sit on mom's lap too. wink

Sometimes my sister Gracie also likes to explore the tub next to the toilet seat and meow at mommy to cover her poos (mom says it's called "flushing"). Not surprising, since she has also taken over my duty as litterbox snoopervisor, lately.

Mom says it's because she's a captive audience.
[notify]

Coopurr

I still suck my- thumb...

Purred: Fri Apr 23, '10 2:08pm PST 
I have to agree with Boris...and I've gotta say...the bathroom is just a fun, fun, FUN place! Oh, I love to test my jumping skills by hopping up and into the sink. I love to listen to the running water when Meowm takes a shower...and the toilet...THE TOILET.

Most. Funnest. Toy. EVERRRRRRRRR.way to goway to goway to go

Meowm allows me to put my paws on it while the stuff goes "bye-byes." But she holds on to me so that I can't put my paws in. shrug But it's still fun! No, it's beyond fun...it's ENTARANCING.

Purrs,
Coop
[notify]

kaya skye

not fighting my- demons-we joined- forces

Purred: Fri Apr 23, '10 11:20pm PST 
would bathroom love be akin to phone affection? (and why does that sentence seem like it shouldn't be shared in mixed company?) i am frequently becatted while enthroned...or else beset by cats, as they prowl the bathroom or yowl outside the door. but hey, i'm not really going anywhere and have nothing better to do, so...i'm good with it. the phone affection is another issue.
i'm on the phone. so the phone is in one hand. frequently, i'm doing something with the other. i may even be cooking, or cleaning, or some other job that requires moving around the house. so sometimes i'm a moving target-but i'm consistently a target. both cats actively, pesistently solicit attention and affection whenever i'm on the phone. kaya gets in front of me and taps me with her paw, jadyn wails, both cats troop through my lap if i'm sitting, weave through my feet if i'm standing...what gives? honestly, it reminds me of toddlers yanking on a parent's sleeve saying "mommy-mommy-mommy-mommy-mommy..." and it's about that irritating, if the conversation is a long one, because they don't stop. ideas?
[notify]

KuJu Ku

Bobtails Rule!

Purred: Sat Apr 24, '10 5:10pm PST 
Oh we's the bathroom visitors also.. when mom showers in the AM I love to lay on her PJammies that she just took off and wait for her to get out all wet, sometimes I lick her
(hairy) legs if she didnt shave them MOL big laugh When shes doing her make up I jump up on the sink top and walk back and forth making it difficult for her to do so.
Or.. like now when shes on the computer I like to "plop" right down in front of the keyboard so she cant type... ahhhh its so relaxing..
I do also come into the bathroom when shes making believe shes the queen on the throne..sisfur and I love the attention then too - so your not alone laugh out loud

Edited by author Sat Apr 24, '10 5:11pm PST

[notify]

Jack

Purred: Sun Apr 25, '10 10:40am PST 
I head for the bathroom when my mommy goes in there. My litter box is there, too, but, it's when she's in there I am captivated. When water is running in the sink, I can't figure out what is going on, but, haven't yet figured out how to jump there. I get to drink the delicious water from the toilet bowl, but, when she's sitting there, she will pet me and met me until I nip her leg, wanting her to come play with me and my toys. She pets me in other rooms, too, but, there is so much going on in the bathroom that is mysterious!

Jack
[notify]

Coopurr

I still suck my- thumb...

Purred: Sun Apr 25, '10 10:48am PST 
Jack, you are a Cat after my own heart! You just said it ALLLLLLL.
big grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

Purrs,
Coop
[notify]

Boris

I'm cute and I- know how to use- that :)

Purred: Sun Apr 25, '10 6:12pm PST 
Well, mom has decided that since I need more exercise (I got fat again), and she is spending more time in the bathroom these days (she's going to have a furless kitten, which is kind of the equivalent of getting a kidney infection, I think. I swear, the woman goes to the bathroom every hour), she decided to use our bathroom time to her advantage. She got one of those dangly mouse toys (who's already earned the nickname Mr. Mouse) and dangles him in front of me all the time.

So far I like Mr. Mouse. Mom is hoping this means she can utilize her captive audience status to her advantage. Not sure what that means, but I like that mom plays with me. big grin

Edited by author Sun Apr 25, '10 6:14pm PST

[notify]

Emma Barrett

It\'s good to be- the Queen

Purred: Mon Apr 26, '10 6:03am PST 
Our meowmy gave up a long time ago closing the bathroom door. And Louie likes to jump up on the back of the toilet and pat her shoulder with his paw. That way he gets extra attention. He also jumps up on the vanity when she is getting ready in the morning to go to work, and again puts his paw on her shoulder (what, does he think she can't see him - he weights 14 pounds!!). I like to jump up on the vanity, and from there to the top of the floor cabinet, I can sit up there like I am on my throne, since I am indeed Empress of All Cats. Meowmy reaches up and pets me, and even puts a treat or two up there for me.

Al and Charmaine pass through and rub against her legs (our litter box is also in the bathroom). Pete seems to be more interested in being in the dining area/kitchen.....guess he wants to be close to the food......MOL.....MOL...

Emma Barrett
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2