GO!

How come my cat wont sleep with me anymore?

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Clark

Purred: Sun Apr 4, '10 6:18am PST 
I have a neutered 4 year old male cat. (domestic shorthair/Egyptian Mau) I am his favorite human in the family. He has always slept with me at my feet.
I went away on vacation for a week. That was over a month ago. When I returned home he was happy to see me and slept at my feet that night and the next night. Since then he sleeps on the couch at night where I normally sit during the day.
Nothing else has changed, he still follows me around the house, Still playful with me, still wants attention from me during the day, he just seems to have a new night routine after 4 years.
I have taken vacations in the past and he has never done this. In fact I do this about 3 times per year. My husband and older kids were here while I was gone so it's not like he was unattended to and left alone for that long. If his intent was to punish me you'd think it would only be for a day or two.
Can anyone tell me why Clark has changed his routine after 4 years!
[notify]

Isabelle

Do I smell- treats??

Purred: Sun Apr 4, '10 8:28am PST 
Isabelle changes her sleeping habits every now and then, and over the years, too. She used to sleep on my pillow, then in between me and my husband's pillow, then only on my side, etc. Now she won't sleep with me at all and can be found in her heated hut or on a kitchen chair. I just chalk it up to normal cat behavior. laugh out loud
[notify]

Boris

I'm cute and I- know how to use- that :)

Purred: Sun Apr 4, '10 8:41am PST 
Isabelle's mom is right. I used to love sleeping with mommy as a kitten, but went through two long periods where I wanted my own sleeping place since. Right now, I do sleep at mommy's feet, but I prefer sleeping on her pillow after she wakes up more! So I keep trying to tell her to wake up so I can get my spot in the mornings. She is not pleased with me today, for example. laugh out loud big laugh

It's possible that your kitty had time to explore sleeping options while you were gone, and afterward decided "you know what, I think I like sleeping alone better!". But if it's the first time you have a kitty that does this, I know that it's hard not to take it personally. The first time I stopped sleeping with mommy, she thought I had stopped loving her. But I still do. Most of my sleeping places are places where I can smell mom: the couch, her pillow when she's not using the bed, and the dining chairs where she's sat for food.

Another thing that I like to do when I'm not in the mood to sleep close to mom is sleep away from the bed, but still somewhere near so I can keep tabs on her, like the top of the bookcase across the bed, or her nightstand. shh I'll also let you in on a secret: when the weather gets colder, mom's bed becomes irresistible, and I am back to sleeping next to her, happy as I can be (mom says this year I've also got in the habit of sleeping side to side with her and hogging the bed wink) shh

P.S.: Sometimes I also go through periods where I like daddy better, just like human children do. Mom has just learned to resign herself to the fact that she only gets my charming presence on the side of the bed when I feel like it. And hey, I'm doing better than the other kitty: she pesters people for laptime at night when they are trying to watch the shiny tube, but when it's time to go to sleep, she's decided she'd rather have her own room with her toys and bed! laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]

Isabelle

Do I smell- treats??

Purred: Tue Apr 13, '10 4:23pm PST 
Clark, I just wanted to add that Isabelle has suddenly decided to sleep with me again. Sunday night for whatever reason, she decided to resume the position of my "little rock" in the bed and snored away like she had never left (she had been sleeping elsewhere for probably a good 2 months). laugh out loud

So, really, I wouldn't worry too much. wink
[notify]

Apollo (In- Memory)

Love Ya

Purred: Tue Apr 13, '10 5:45pm PST 
Have any of the purrsons thought that maybe, in their sleep, they're kicking, pulling on the blankets, swinging their arms, tossing or snoring? shh

For a cat, trying to get some sleep, it may feel like you're going 10 rounds with Rocky Balboa!! silenced laugh out loud

Attila the- Hun

Mommy? Mommy!- MOMMY!!

Purred: Tue Apr 13, '10 6:37pm PST 
Perhaps your kitty feels a new independence that he discovered during your absence? Give him time (and maybe some treats!) and I bet he'll be back in your bed!

When I was little I would have nightmares and cry in my sleep. I couldn't even fall asleep unless I was mushed up against my mommy's chest! As I got older/bigger I started to want to go out and do more at night. However, I always laid with my mommy until she was asleep, and then five minutes before her alarm went off in the morning I was back by her side and purring and batting her nose to wake her up. After I was hit by a car I didn't leave my mommy's arms for DAYS, but as I grew used to hobbling around and moved in with my brother, I started going out again.
[notify]

Natasha

Princess Forever

Purred: Wed Apr 14, '10 4:31pm PST 
Natasha does this too. I guess they are just being who they are.....cats.....Your cat may decide to come back to sleeping with you in their own time....Natasha goes from the pillow to my feet to another place in the room. When she leaves the room, I will be shocked....Good luck understanding your cat....That is why there are so many books about them out there....Bamcat.
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Wed Apr 14, '10 7:10pm PST 
What Apollo said!!!! I've not been snoogling as close to Meowma lately, just a little bit a night. Some nights I even go have to get on the couch. That's because she has awful, even worse than usual allergies this year, and has this nasty, wheezy cough--15 or 20 at the time. I try but after a few minutes I've got to get some beauty rest.
[notify]

Coopurr

I still suck my- thumb...

Purred: Thu Apr 15, '10 7:06am PST 
Both my bridge baby Felix and Coop have both changed their sleeping spots over time. Coop used to sleep with me every night, then he started sleeping in his bed in the living room. He'll come to visit and nap for short periods, then go back to the living room.

He did spend the entire night with me last night because I was sick. And that was very sweet.

But I do think they just change their habits over time...
big grin
Coop's Mom
[notify]

Leia

Princess Leia

Purred: Thu Apr 15, '10 7:41am PST 
Oh no, this worries me because I will be leaving on a trip for a week and she sleeps with me every night! I would be so sad to come back home and find that she won't sleep with me anymore frown
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2